IARC 2023 Transcripts - 07 SASH & CED

A little bit older.

A new one in new new car? Yeah.

What is the one adjective that comes to mind when you think about electronics in a car?

My personal opinion is I like old cars because they are less. I mean, you get less faults, electronic faults, for example. But on the other side, of course, it’s a it’s a kind of a luxury you have with all the electronics. So it makes life a bit easier. But yeah, I have a favor for, for old cars. So it’s it’s 50:50, I would say. So, yeah.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than regular cars?

Harder, definitely. Because electronics are or electronic scrap is always more difficult to liberate and to separate and therefore to reuse in the end and to to guide it back into to the circular economy.

What can the automotive industry do to promote circular economy?

I mean, first step for the automotive industry should be to to say, let’s say to to use less compounds. So the more compounds you have and especially in electronic scrap definitely makes it harder to to separate. So use less compounds. And this will help with sorting technology to to gain better products.

do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in car electronics.

Honestly, no. I mean, we all we all have smartphones in our pockets which collect data all the time. We all, most of us use and use these, you know, these cards for hotels where you collect points. So they are all collecting data. So in the end, and I think the car is like the less, the less important one. Yeah.

Does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Yeah, absolutely. Especially as an as an environmental engineer or recycling engineer, Definitely. Yeah. So reuse should be number one. So you reduce the amount of of waste streams and then of course recycling. Then the second step. Yeah.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Five.

Could you explain?

The amount of, let’s say within Europe we have quite a high, let’s say, collecting rate. But if you if you. As soon as you leave or, let’s say, leave Central Europe. If you go look into Eastern Europe, if you look into the southern Eastern Europe countries, I’m not talking about Africa now, then it gets a big, big problem. And like just I mean, you can just look at the media and see how much landfills they are and there’s no recycling at all. So it’s a big problem. And so the pollution, especially in regards to electronic scrap, is is big.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability.

Repair things before throwing them away? Also, I check on the necessarity like, do I really need something like that or is it just something I need to I want to have, but do I need it? And also check before I buy products? I often check how how sustainable the the production, for example, is. Is it was it made in Central Europe or is it coming from China? So I’d rather buy a coffee machine from from Italy, for example, than from China.

How much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment?

Part difficult question. Can’t really can’t really say something about that.