IARC 2023 Transcripts - 07 SASH & CED

So I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you information sheet with the contact information, so please tell me your first name and that you agree.

Sasha.

Yes. You agree?

Yes, I agree.

Cedric and I agree. Yeah.

Thank you. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words? Sasha.

No, sorry. Just kidding.

[Sasha leaves the place and doesn’t return]

I mean, ideally, you the materials you use to produce, for example, a car after its end of its life, it gets liberated. So shredded and sorted, for example, with our technology. And then. New products are gained again to use them for producing or let’s say producing the metals, which can then can be used for for the cars.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Well, I try to. At home, I try to separate the waste. I produce as much as possible. I try to reduce the waste. Of course, in first place, and then try to separate into different bins, for example.

How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practices?

Well, I’m a graduated recycling engineer, so yeah, that’s how it all started.

And you, in your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Individual sectors, Definitely. I doubt that it will be possible in all sectors.

In your opinion, can a circular economy? No. Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

In some parts? Yes. Yes. Aluminium, for example. Because I mean, it should be one of the main targets to to reduce the the usage of primary resources and aluminium.

What do you think? How could it be extended?

Going deeper into separating and technology.

Do you currently own a car?

I do, yeah. Um, it’s a station wagon.