IARC 2023 Transcripts - 08 CHRIS

Okay, so I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it, put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information. So if you agree, then please tell me your first name and that you agree.

I agree. Christoph.

Thank you. Christophe. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Haha well that’s a, that’s a very, that’s a very interesting, uh, that’s a very interesting question. Okay, hold on. Let me think. Um, so I would, I would probably, I would probably say it’s, it’s, it’s a, it’s a, it’s a type of, it’s a type of economic functioning, um, which is continuous and in which resources can be used and reused without loss as in comparison to a growth economy or other forms of economy in which we only keep producing resources and using resources without any consideration for their future and their reuse. But I could be wrong. It’s an interesting to check on a dictionary, actually.

Uh, do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Yeah. Well, I hope through my work. Yeah. Firstly. Secondly, I think as much as anybody does today because of how we I hope everybody has gotten to, you know, to, to live, to pay attention to the products that we purchase. If they come from reasonably working companies, they’ll be supply chain recycling, ESG in general. Um, you know, recycle all the stuff that we use, return them to the right spaces. So I think as much as anybody, but I’m afraid maybe there’s not enough clarity in the general population to what what we can do besides, you know, just throwing the glass in the right bin and checking which company we buy stuff from. So I’m sure I could do more.

Yeah. How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practice?

Yeah, I think our generation is so exposed to thankfully to the impact of that that that we that most of the people I know are interested in that. And also through my job, obviously it’s a very, very common point.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or individual industries?

Yes, absolutely. Of course. I mean, I think it’s already it already is. And I think governments at least are pushing each sector or a lot of sectors to to implement that. So anyways, I think this is the way to the way to go.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

Uh huh. With some brands, yes, I think with some brands. With some brands. Yes. With some manufacturers. Yes. Who do pay attention to that and the others that do not, they will need to catch up very fast.

Yes. Do you own currently a car?

Yes.

Which kind?

A Tesla.

Electric car? Yes. So when is the one adjective that comes to mind when you think about electronics in a car? Well, not electric electronics.

Yeah, electronics. Like. Like the on board electronics. Yeah, Well, you mean in the car that I have that I just mentioned or in any car?

First thought. What do you think? If you hear electronics in the car, what do you think about it? What is the first today?

The first thought is essential. Essential? Absolutely necessary.