IARC 2023 Transcripts - 24 MIL

Why?

Because we know that there is a lot of additional copper for electric wiring. I don’t know. It’s just the first thing he came into my mind. I could also have said I did Weight, complexity, but et cetera. But yeah, it’s it’s. It’s a challenge. Of course we want more comfort. We want more tricks. But it has a cost. It has a financial and CO2 costs.

Yeah. In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy practices than regular car? The cars with they include more electronic components easier or harder to. Adapt to circular economy than regular cars.

what I think there are two aspects I’m not sure I have the answer. First of all, these cars with more electronics, I suppose are more complex to sort and shred and yeah, to two. But on the other hand, the these cars are more valuable, so there is more incentive to do that. So I don’t have the answer to that. I would still say that because they are more valuable and they are solutions to sort and have a circular business, I would say so, yeah.

What could the automotive industry do to promote circular economy?

I think have clear guidelines to their suppliers. That’s one one of them. And the other is to accept that circularity and sustainability has a cost because they want everything cheaper, although it has higher value. And this is not being transparent.

Do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in car electronics like GPS?

No, I don’t. I don’t have any problem with that.

And electronics in general?

Not especially. No data. Data privacy are important, obviously. But I’m not too worried about that. As long as it’s not invasive, it’s okay.

Does recycling and reusing mean different things to you? Of course, yes.

Yeah. Reuse is reuse and recycling means remanufacturing.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned, and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Very concerned.

4 or 5?

Five, five. Because I don’t think that we are on the right path. Right now, there are some initiatives, but everybody still thinks that, um, there is a limited amount of resources, which is not the case.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Well, I think it’s leading by example. So trying to be an example for my kids, for my coworkers. That’s one thing. Ultimately, I think it needs to come via regulations. I think that’s clear.

How much does responsibility does every or each individual or every person have to make lifestyle and circular consumer choices that help protect the environment?

Almost zero. Because we need to guide the people. I think they don’t understand the impact that what they are buying has on the environment. So we need to put regulation people, because I don’t believe people understand the impact they have. Yeah.