IARC 2023 Transcripts - 24 MIL

So I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If you do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information if you agree. Tell me, please your first name and that you agree.

Milan, I agree.

Thank you. Milan? Yeah. Milan. Yeah. So the first question. Can you define circular economy in your own words?

Well, I guess circular economy is a way is the almost the opposite of the linear supply chain. So we need to basically have a circular solution so that we can minimize waste and yeah, bring value. Because circular economy is about value. So it’s valuing the, the, the path towards net zero, let’s say like that.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Well at least in my daily job, yes. Because sustainability is the core of our business. Novel is, is an aluminium recycler and producer of lateral product, and we believe we are absolutely convinced that recycling and circular economy is the path towards minimising the resources need and the maximization of the value.

Wow. How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practices?

Well, I think again, the value into recycling, the value of not mining and I think ultimately driving towards the net zero path is why we believe really this is the way to go.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Definitely yes. However, it won’t be it won’t be easy because we become we come from an economy which is again, a linear economy, and we need to change that into a circular economy. It’s not easy and we need collaborative. We need approach and we need to more transparency. Probably. And this is where it becomes more difficult.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

Not yet, I think. But it’s probably one of the first and it is, I think, the leading industry to get there because it has always been the the industry, the most innovative one at high scale and high quality driving changes, I believe. And I think this is where we need to take example for other industries. Maybe it’s not the only one, but it’s one of them, I’m sure. Yes.

Do you currently own a car?

Yes.

Which kind.

Mercedes.

Electric or hybrid?

No, no, it’s. It’s a conventional ic. Yeah, ic engine. Okay.

What is the one the adjective that comes to mind? It means the first thought when you think about electronics in a car.

Copper.