IARC 2023 Transcripts - 31 YVE

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than regular cars?

I think it’s harder because the components are much harder to recycle than the old cars with without electrics and computers and so on.

What can the automotive industry do to promote circular economy.

To promote? Oh, that’s a good question. To promote. Yes, they should try to implement. Um, how to say. A system, maybe like in other categories where you can pay a fee for the parts and then when you reuse it, you you can get the money back.

Uh, do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored in car electronics or electronics in general?

Yes, I have, because the cars won’t always to send my data to the company. They can’t switch all this off.

Uh, does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Yes, they do.

Could you explain, please?

Reusing means that I use the same parts for other things again. And recycling means that I may make a new part from the from the old one.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned, and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about the issues of environmental waste and pollution?

2 to 3.

Could you please explain why?

Because I live in Austria and we have a very, very hard regulations and we look very carefully for all wastes.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Okay. Yeah. Reuse my old things. And also I recycle everything in my house. So. And also, I drive my car for 50 years, and I think it’s enough.

How much responsibility does each individual, each person have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment?

Yeah, they should buy a, um, products that last longer and also can be repaired because if you buy a handy take it two years and then throw it away, that’s the wrong way.

Last question. Uh, do you see the circular economy as a local or national or international issue?

International.