IARC 2023 Transcripts - 31 YVE

So I’m Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector. And I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not your real name, in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with a contact information, so please tell me your first name and that you agree.

My name is Yves and I agree to the terms.

Thank you very much. So, Yves, the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words?

Yes, I can. In German and in English. Circular economy. That means that no new material is needed for production of goods so that the old goods always in a circular production, I would say.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any part of aspect of your life?

Yes, because I’m in a recycling company, so we do the most the whole day, this thing. But in real life, I think it’s not possible to do this because it’s material is always going to waste and we need always new materials for the productions.

How did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practice?

Yeah, because of my job and yeah, it’s it’s it’s in time, I say because the world is changing and we have to look after the planet.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or individual industries?

No, I think it should be global because the industries are too small. Some and also countries are too small for for a real cycle.

Do you think the circular economy already exists in the car industry?

No, I don’t believe so. (Why?) Because I can’t imagine any parties, which is always renewable.

Do you currently own a car?

Yes.

Which kind of car?

Uh, three sports cars, a van and a combi.

But no electric car?

No.

What is the one adjective or what is the first thought when you hear about electronics in a car.

Very expensive and always getting. What’s the English word? Broken? Yes.