Ideas for un monastery

Water is one of the most fundamental environmental resources. Sustainable water use allows for the protection of ecosystems and biodiversity.

Matera was once part of Magna Grecia Archimedes was one of its most famous scholars and inventors.
It would be an examination of old processes that once moved mountains and streams.

Two Primary schools will learn about Archimedes and his experiments with water and pulley systems in their classroom. They will enact his experiments and create the objects he used with the teachers and myself. It would also be wonderful if fathers, mothers and local artisans could help create these machines.
Alongside this another project would run with two secondary schools that would learn about water management around the world,they would also create small scale enactments about global water initiatives using found and locally sourced materials.
Timeline 

Week 1 Initial contact.Explanation of project and initial drawings in classroom.

Week 2 Creation of  machines and diagrams

Week 3 Planning of exhibition/event

Week 4 Staging of Event 

After one month the pupils will demonstrate and present their findings to a their families, friends and local officials in one special presentation.
The challenges will be participation how to get everyone on board, timings with school curriculum.
As an artist i will assist in the creation of drawings, machines and models with the children.

Success will be measured by smiles and enjoyment and the hope that people will stop to think about simple systems that might work today.

So, you’d need…

…classrooms! Right? This means you would be relying on the unMonastery to put you in touch with teachers, deans etc.

Rephrased as a question: what exactly do you need to make this happen?

1 Like

Contact

<p>Would need introductions to schools and time to explain the project to teachers and head teachers.This should be seen as widening the scope of the Un monastery, a positive step.</p>

<p>I presume all schools have classrooms but we would need spaces to make things if model are to be made.</p>

Language?

What language would you teach in?

schools

hi [Stephenelson], this sounds great especially in Matera where water management has beeen a great issue in history. The Sassi quarters, indeed, had a great system of water collection with cisterns carved in tufa rocks. So, definitely, I think that your project coul be well-accepted considering our background.

Did you think to contact schools during LOTE?

Schools

The sooner schools are contacted to register interest the better it would be for setting up the workshops? These things often take time and a generous sprit on behalf of the pupils and teachers.

LOTE might be a good time to bring up the proposal and initial contact.

Images of work previous exhibitions

http://www.contemporaryartsociety.org/public-programme-at-central-street

Proposal for water/school project

<div class=“field field-name-body field-type-text-with-summary field-label-hidden view-mode-full” 0px;=“” “=”">Water is one of the most fundamental environmental resources. Sustainable water use allows for the protection of ecosystems and biodiversity.

Matera was once part of Magna Grecia Archimedes was one of its most famous scholars and inventors.
It would be an examination of old processes that once moved mountains and streams.

Two Primary schools will learn about Archimedes and his experiments with water and pulley systems in their classroom. They will enact his experiments and create the objects he used with the teachers and myself. It would also be wonderful if fathers, mothers and local artisans could help create these machines.
Alongside this another project would run with two secondary schools that would learn about water management around the world,they would also create small scale enactments about global water initiatives using found and locally sourced materials.
Timeline 

Week 1 Initial contact.Explanation of project and initial drawings in classroom.

Week 2 Creation of  machines and diagrams

Week 3 Planning of exhibition/event

Week 4 Staging of Event 

After one month the pupils will demonstrate and present their findings to a their families, friends and local officials in one special presentation.
The challenges will be participation how to get everyone on board, timings with school curriculum.
As an artist i will assist in the creation of drawings, machines and models with the children.

Success will be measured by smiles and enjoyment and the hope that people will stop to think about simple systems that might work today.

Group content visibility: