Innovative actions for improving urban health and wellbeing

Last week I attended the Open Info Day - Health, demographic change and wellbeing (Infoday programme (002) (1).pdf) organized by the DG Research and Innovation. There are only a few priorities in this work programme which might actually be interesting for us, such as: “decoding the role of the environment, including climate change, for health and wellbeing” & “supporting the digital transformation in health and care”.

This post is related to one specific call that seems to be a good fit:
SC1-BHC-29-2020: Innovative actions for improving urban health and wellbeing - addressing environment, climate and socioeconomic factors

“Proposals should develop and test effective actions and/or policies for improved urban health and wellbeing in Europe…and address improved physical or mental health, or both, while considering the relevant socio-economic and/or environmental determinants of health. They could address any sector (with priority on other sectors than health care) or policy area relevant to achieve a lasting health improvement…”

Full description available HERE (page 105)

It’s a research and innovation action, two-phase application with deadlines on 24th of September 2019 and 7th of April 2020.

Considering the first deadline we should make a decision soon. I can look at the previous similar calls and their consortiums but I am also wondering if anyone in the community has any suggestions about possible partners we could contact?
@alberto @nadia @martin @noemi @ilaria ?

1 Like

I can think of many, and many we can fish out from C-KIC.

But first: what do we know about that call? Who has the CSAs? I guess our normal method applies: let’s find someone who already won funding under that call as a coordinator, then get in touch… you know the drill.

This is RIA. Yes, I planned looking at former consortiums but considering that it’s for September, was wondering if there are maybe already some ideas :slight_smile:

Yes, but the previous RIAs will have their own CSA, and its coordinator is qualified to give us good intel.

This looks like we could pull in some of the OpenCare partner, the city of Milan especially.

Notice that it’s a two-stage proposal, so that the first stage is less work than a single-stage application.

1 Like

I would agree with @alberto regarding the approach: ‘through established particiant’.

1 Like

Maye you yourself can suggest someone, @martin?

Having considered, @alberto how viable / biased my personal suggestions could be, I think that a more structured approach is advisable. I’m hesitating because of limitations of my contacts and limited understanding what is edgeryder’s ‘unique value attribute’.

Considering that edgeryder seems to master (some) network analytics, it comes to my mind that the open data about EU research projects could be analysed. They are available at the European Open Data Portal. The H2020 database is quite comprehensive [*]. I would expect that it could be mined for favourable contacts - at organisation level and names of individuals to be approached. I cannot assess what amount of effort would be needed.

Alternatively, text-based searches directly in CORDIS are possible; an example. Within the search results I find, for example a project coordinated by PTM and a wealth of information about it.

I have some experience with such searches in CORDIS when knowing what I was looking for. The number of false positives can be managed & I’m happy to help. regards, Martin

[*] This dataset contains projects and related organisations funded by the European Union under the Horizon 2020 framework programme for research and innovation from 2014 to 2020. The file ‘H2020 Projects’ contains the public grant information for each project, including the following information: Record Control Number (RCN), project ID (grant agreement number), project acronym, project status, funding programme, topic, project title, project start date, project end date, project objective, project total cost, EC max contribution (commitment), call ID, funding scheme (type of action), coordinator, coordinator country, participants (ordered in a semi-colon separated list), participant countries (ordered in a semi-colon separated list). The participating organisations are listed in the file ‘H2020 Organisations’ which includes: project Record Control Number (RCN), project ID, project acronym, organisation role, organisation ID, organisation name, organisation short name, organisation type, participation ended (true/false), EC contribution, organisation country. The periodic or final report summaries (or publishable summaries) from the projects have been included since September 2018. The lists of publications and deliverables from the projects have been included since May 2019.

@martin that’s a great idea. I did some work in my spare time, last year. Some interesting conclusions in there, as you can see on the wiki. One of them is homophily: universities prefer to partner with other universities, public research centers with other public research centers and so on.

You will get a much better feel for what we do after the Skunkworks!

ping @luciascopelliti and also @pbihr

Maybe it could be worthwhile looking into people with the union movements that are currently doing stuff on the platform economy in urban environments. The Dutch Federation of Trade unions is one example and the people on this list are worth chatting to - let me know if you want me to do so. /Speakers instructions - Nadia El-Imam.pdf (210.7 KB)

1 Like

Hello @alberto - very nice piece of work!! You may wish i) to contact Maria Carvalho Dias (she knows me). REA runs some projects that do similar things and she knows about them or ii) to explore OpenAire for related stuff. - regards, Martin

1 Like