Internetdagarna interviews - introduction by perhjerten

Vem är du? Vad jobbar du med och varför är du på Internetdagarna?

Jag har jobbat med internet, egentligen, från när det började. Satt och såg på Clinton och Bildt när de skickade mejl 1993. Mosaik, som browsern hette. Var konsult inom informatik. Hade mycket tid för jag bodde i en annan stad än jag ville.

Var i Japan och bevakade IT- och teknikområdet åt sveriges tekniska attachéer. Jobabde med offentlig upphandling. Hamnade på sveriges radio och var tillförordnad chef för it-arktiekterna. Är på Kungliga vetenskapsakademin, ansvarig för påverkansprojekt för samhällets utveckling. Det har varit flera trådar, men it-relaterat från när internet kom igång i sin moderna form. Det är tredje året i rad jag är här den här omgången. I början av 00-talet var jag här. Bra tillfälle att lyssna på människor och se vart utvecklingen är på väg.

Vi på IVA startar nya projekt som handlar om digitalisering för välfärd. Har lyssnat på spåren med offentlig sektor och AI. lär känna människorna, hör problembeskrivningar och var det finns luckor i diskussionen. Våra rekommendationer är ofta policyskapande.

När blev du sist hoppfull eller glad över internet eller dess framtid?

Nu. alldeles nyss. Jag är alltid blandat hoppfull och förskräckt. Oftast hoppfull. Är väldigt fascinerad över framtiden, och tycker om att se på filmer och läsa böcker. Nu är det om Ai och vart det ska ta vägen,. För 20 år sedan handlade det om webben och vilka möjligheter det kan föra med sig. Där är vi nu.

Satt med i SVT:s Rapport morgon när jag kom tillbaka från Japan år 2000. Eva Hamilton var reporter. Det var om reklamfilmerna, hur de skulel bli när vi hade de färgglada mobilerna. “Det blir väl dyrt,” sade hon. Sedan dog den diskussionen. Det går framåt med raska steg. Det är i början av sin utveckling, egentligen. Det finns mycket kvar att göra. Mycket spännande. Är man med och försöker bidra med sunt förnuft och på ett klokt sätt kan man bidra till att det blir mer hoppfullt.

Några särskilda tekniker. Den här diskussionen senaste året och mycket idag kring vår integritet och den data som visserligen behövs för att AI och det ska funka, men den måste göras tillgänglig för den nyttan samtidigt som den är skyddad så att man känner sig trygg i att inte bli utnyttjad. Den diskussionen känns helt rätt. Lyssnade nyss på en politiker. Det måste göras precis så, sade han. Hoppfullt att höra politiker säga det. Sedan kom näringslivstoippar från Microsoft och IBM som bara kunde hålla med. De var förvånade, så brukar det inte låta. Möjgligen händer något även i politiken

När gjorde internet eller dess utveckling dig arg, rädd eller bekymrad?

Fick alldeles nyss SMS från någon som hette Vanessa som hade en mystisk webbadress. Ville träffas… sådant får man inte varje dag, men man hör talas om människor som inte begriper att det är något dåligt. Så klickar man på webbadressen så är det igång. Man ser närmaste kretsen med släktingar och vänner. Barnen klarar sig lite ifrån sådant. Men när folk råkar ut för sådnat är det tråkigt. Synd att det finns människor som inte har skrupler utan försöker utnyttja människor på det sättet.

Framtida tekniker. artificiell intelligens, på det sättet som Max Tegmark beskriver i sin bok Livet 3.0. Om det går åt det hållet, att vi lyckas skapa generellt AI och det kommer ut utan kontroll, utan att vi satt regler och principer. Det är ett skräckscenario. Även om vi inte kommer så långt, att onda krafter, brottslingar och skurkstater utnyttjar kraftfull teknologi till att bygga vapen eller göra terroristattentat eller ha ihjäl folk. Inte svårt att komma på de scenarierna. Tyvärr finns krafter som vill ditåt. Även cyberintrång att man stänger ner länders infrastruktur, bara för att man kan. Sådant är naturligtvis skrämmande och obehagligt.

Angående IVA. det börjar komma igång lite. IVA har inte varit så fokuserat på IT-relaterade frågor. Det har gjorts försök och nu hra vi satt igång igen med “digitalisering för ökad konkurrenskraft”. Förutom att se vad vi kan göra för välfärden tittar vi på cybersäkerhet. Försvarsmakten söker gärna samarbete med svenska kraftnät och energisektorn som väl känner till de hot och teknniker och åtgärder som skulle behövas. Har varit attacker i Ukraina och andra sätllen. Vinnova och andra som begriper problematiken och satsar. På KTH finns forskare som jobba med det. Många aktörer som vill träffas. IVA är den aktören som är den oberoende mötesplatsen för den typen av möten och diskussioner.

name: perhjerten

2 Likes

English translation.
Disclaimer, rough translation made by Hugi with AI support:

Who are you? What are you working on and why are you on the Internet Days?

I’ve been working with the internet, really, from when it started. Saw Clinton and Bildt when they sent emails in 1993. Mosaic, which the browser was called. Been a consultant in informatics. Had a lot of time because I lived in a different city than I wanted.

Was in Japan and monitored the IT and technology area for Sweden’s technical attaché. Worked on public procurement. Ended up on Sweden’s radio and was acting chief of IT architecture. I’m now at the Royal Academy of Sciences, responsible for impact projects for the development of society. There have been several threads, but IT-related from when the internet got started in its modern form. This is the third year in a row I’m here. Good opportunity to listen to people and see where the development is going.

We at IVA are launching new projects that are about digitization for welfare. Have listened to the tracks with the public sector and AI. get to know the people, hear problem descriptions and where there are gaps in the discussion. Our recommendations are often policy-making.

When did you last become hopeful or happy about the internet or its future?

Now, just now. I’m always both hopeful and scared. Mostly hopeful. Am very fascinated about the future, and enjoy watching movies and reading books. Now it’s about Ai and where to go. 20 years ago it was about the web and what opportunities it could bring. There we are now.

I was on SVT’s Report tomorrow when I returned from Japan in 2000. Eva Hamilton was a reporter. It was about the commercials, how they would become when we had the colorful mobile phones. “It’ll be expensive,” she said. That’s how the conversation ended. It is moving forward with rapid steps. It is at the beginning of its development, really. There is much left to do. Very exciting. If you try and contribute with common sense and in a wise way, you might help make it more hopeful.

The discussion last year and a lot today about our integrity and the data, that is certainly needed for AI and it to work, but it must be made available for that benefit while being protected so that you feel secure in not being exploited. That discussion feels just right. Just listened to a politician. It has to be done just like that, he said. Hopeful, to hear politicians say that. Then came business executives from Microsoft and IBM that could only agree. That was surprising, that is not usually how it sounds. Possibly something will also happen in politics.

When did the internet or its development make you angry, scared or worried?

Just received a text message from someone named Vanessa who had a mysterious URL. Wanted to meet… you don’t get that every day, but you hear about people who don’t understand that something is bad. So they click on the URL. You see the closest circle of relatives and friends. It is a pity that there are people who do not have scruples but try to exploit people in that way.

Future technologies. artificial intelligence, in the way Max Tegmark describes in his book Life 3.0. If it goes in that direction, we succeed in creating general AI and it comes out without control, without setting rules and principles. It’s a horror scenario. Even if we do not get that far, evil forces, criminals and rogue states use powerful technology to build weapons or make terrorist attacks or kill people. It’s not hard to come up with those scenarios. Unfortunately, there are forces that want to go there. Also cyber intrusion that you shut down countries’ infrastructure, just because you can. Such things are of course scary and unpleasant.

Regarding IVA and AI, it’s getting started a little. IVA has not been so focused on IT-related issues. Attempts have been made and now we hope we have started again with “digitization for increased competitiveness”. In addition to seeing what we can do for welfare, we look at cyber security. The Armed Forces are happy to seek cooperation with the Swedish power grid and the energy sector, who are well aware of the threats and techniques and measures that would be needed. There have been attacks in Ukraine and other palces. Vinnova and others who understand the problem and make investments. At KTH, there are researchers working on it. Many people who want to meet. IVA is the player that is the independent meeting place for these types of meetings and discussions.

1 Like

Hi @perhjerten, and welcome to Edgeryders.

Regarding healthcare and welfare, a couple of years ago we worked on OpenCare, which identified quite a few interesting tech-based social innovations by communities in Europe:

I also think that the work of @markomanka might be relevant to look at.

Also, this:

Ping @nadia, we might want to involve IVA in the future.

What are IVA and SVT? :question:

I had Mosaic! It was the first graphic web browser, before it we would use text-based ones. It later became Mozilla, that then was changed into the name of the org that made it. I am typing this on the remote descendant of Mosaic. :smile:

IVA is the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences and SVT is the Swedish public service television.

Mosaic was recoded and improved to become Netscape. AOL bought Netscape and later gave away the source code. That became Mozilla, named in homage to the Netscape mascot.

1 Like

Netscape, correct!

Somewhere I have a Netscape pocket knife tool…

… which still cuts, unlike Netscape itself. :smiley:

1 Like