Interview with Fabrizio Barca

I had the pleasure of meeting Fabrizio Barca and I did a short interview on the stewardship and # LOTE4. He spoke about the stewardship projects he is involved in Italy, others he know around the world, and what he expect from lote4 in Matera. It’s really interesting, take ten minutes and hear his words.

On stewardship experience

"We pick the areas of the country where the quality of services in education, health and social security, and access to railway stations (mobility) are particularly bad […] and now we are pushing for the creation of coalitions, coalitions involving municipalities in designing a project, a strategy first of all, these are areas of about 1000, 5000, up to 30 or 40000 inhabitants. These are areas where the state has failed to deliver.

The way we’re going about is by putting coalitions of public officials together, but also making sure that citizens have a chance to speak […] You have to go on the field, so what we do is bring a bunch of administrators from Rome, from Educational, Cultural Ministries, we go by bus to these areas, we sit down for four hours and discuss the issues, with numbers to avoid discussing rubbish [] This is where the moral and cognitive competence of the people emerges. Sometimes these people know more than the public officials"

What does the concept of stewardship mean to you?

“When citizens feel that they have both the moral competence and capacity to play a role in delivery, design of public policies, and the use of what’s around, they become candidates for stewarding the process in their areas”

“Community stewardship is a reaction to a double failure. The failure of the state to provide services tailored to places; and the failure of the private sector when privatization became the new game in town, but turned out to be ineffective and unjust.”

On expectations from \#Lote4

“I’m looking forward because I expect to find there people different from me. I want to see the other side. At the moment we often have similar ideas but we speak different languages. However beautiful the exchange on Internet and twitter, 140 characters are not enough to understand your world”

Interview with Fabrizio Barca before #lote4 from Edgeryders on Vimeo.

Moral competence and capacity

“When citizens feel they have the moral competence and the technical capacity to play a role in the delivery of public services, they become candidates to steward the processes that happen in the areas where they live.”

“Community stewardship is a reaction to a double failure. The failure of the state to provide services tailored to places; and the failure of the private sector when privatization became the new game in town, but turned out to be ineffective and unjust.”

It is interesting, well done. Three things that are improvable:

1. Typo at the beginning: in English it is "project", not "proyect" smiley
  2. Audio! Clear, but unpleasant. You should use microphones closer to the person, not the camera's microphone.
  3. Can we make a much shorter version, 1 to 2 minutes? Or maybe it is not worth it, what do you think?

Added transcription

Hi @NicoBis, since we haven’t heard back and you are probably too busy, I took the liberty to add text to the post to make it easier to cut through all the 10 minutes. Let’s give this some social shares now that we’re almost to lote4, thank you for the work, well done!

Upgrade

Hi all, sorry @Alberto I didn’t see your comment before last night and I worked a little on the audio and I correct the word “project”, it was a refuse. I don’t know if a short version will be interesting as this one, in the mission Ben wrote about a 10 min interview; so I think that this one is perfect and the words of Fabrizio Barca are really intense and powerful, but if you think that we need a short version I’ll work on it.

Thanks a lot @Noemi, you are always on the workpiece. I did an interview with prof. Curti and another with Luca Tamburrino in italian and I’ll use it to engage local people. Tomorrow I finally see Francesco for kiderwind interviews and maybe later I want to do another with emanuele, in english… tell me if it’s ok later in the Conference Call.

Hugs