Interview with Paul Baines Great Lakes Commons Map

Interview with Paul Baines

He mentions a few resources, links below.

Video 15:47

“Stewardship has a lot of like, we are taking care of this, kind of thing rather than a mutual: the water takes care of us, we take care of the water. So we have been talking about how stewardship can be empowering but it can also be very limiting because it seems uni-directional. We are taking care of the water as good stewards and it is very focused on what we are doing, but it does not really capture for some, especially the Anishinaabe community… it does not capture the other part of the relationship.”

“If we still put ourselves in the center of agency… is also part of the problem that we can do what we want to the water. Yes, citizens have good intentions to take care of the water, but an oil company or an agricultural company could use the same logic.”

Resources mentioned

Conquest, Colonialism and the Commons

re:publica 2011 - Patrick Meier - Changing the World, One Map at a Time

Report: Our Great Lakes Commons

Much to learn

I very much enjoyed this interview, great work @mariabyck.

So this is a slightly new perspective, Stewardship being unidirectional and focused on agency? The other direction, what water can do for ourselves, is for me embedded in the stewardship actions and shared agreement on why we are taking care of it.

One for @danohu to add to the Stewardship list of understandings?

“The map is a commons itself”

I think @masha_cheriakova would enjoy it too, the way storytelling and mapping are mixed in this approach could also inspire the mapping of Belarus social innovation scene, and more importantly, how could citizens make use of this knowledge…?