Intro — Emile

Hi All, Just a quick intro to prime the pump. I’m an embedded engineer with nascent projects on the communications in the low bandwidth and 100 km range that feed into some of the ideas expressed by ssb. I’m still searching for the sticky technology that would make this work, and be simple enough to use. I’m also the occasional data analyst on ssb, measuring the growth of the network.

5 Likes

Hi Emelie, and welcome! By ssb, I suppose you mean Secure Scuttlebutt? I’m on those networks myself, though admittedly not very actively in the last couple of months.

Could you say more about this?

1 Like

Hej @hugi

Yup, ssb as secure scuttlebutt.

I’m still searching for the sticky technology that would make this work
Could you say more about this?

By sticky I mean that it can grow at a ß > 1, in the long-term. Much of the technology in the 100km rf range is quite limiting that growth is less than 1, where ham radio exists. For example ham radio is a niche that requires expertise, and has a fairly flat user base.

Using a crow-amsaa method ß is greater than 1, ssb meets some of these goals, but has a last mile problem, that requires the occasional internet for connectivity.

growth

1 Like

I see. That’s fascinating. When I was in high school I had a short but passionate infatuation with picking up VLF signals with my computer sound card. I never thought of that in connection to SSB before but that’s certainly a cool thought.

I’m curious, where does your interest in achieving long distance digital communication without an internet connection come from? Is it because of an instinct of trying to build resilient communication capacity, or more of a “because I can” sort of thing?

1 Like

I’m curious, where does your interest in achieving long distance digital communication without an internet connection come from? Is it because of an instinct of trying to build resilient communication capacity, or more of a “because I can” sort of thing?

@hugi — Part of it is I routinely fall off the grid when doing my outdoor pursuits — I blink and there are no bars left on my iPhone; and while it is a first world problem for me; it is also a developing world problem. I was attracted to ssb from that angle; where the asynchronous point to point communication was the selling feature — and have learned to love the community also.

2 Likes

I’ve taken the first step and ordered wifi/BT/Lora radio pair for starting this project. The intent is to enable ssb syncing at distance; and alternatively possibly present a chat interface for the interested.

As ssb has meshing at the higher network level (almost application…) the lower level radios do not have to mesh, but can simply be p2p or p2mp — and ssb will do the magic of sharing the content. From my previous explorations I have been able to manage to sync on a low bandwidth link by experimentation with a wireless router at 9600 bps.

2 Likes

Boards are in! :santa: :deer: :snowman_with_snow:

IMG_0834

2 Likes