Intro to Scuttlebutt

Session - Scuttlebutt intro by JacobKarlsson and Anders

Intro

• Scuttlebutt - nautical term. The “water cooler” of the ship.
  • It is a network protocol a database and a bunch of clients.

What does it mean to me?

• Solves problem for sailors wanting to share adventures among each others.
  • Available offline
  • Keeping the connection in the same room. Wifi/bluetooth.
  • Main application is a social network. But other things are possible to build upon it.

More about data and the network graph

• The reason it works offline is because everything is stored on your computer.
  • [showing of a distributed graph] The rabbit will not see the cat.
  • You dont have to store everything about everyone on the planet. You store 'friends of friends".
  • All the friends help each others with storing the data.
  • Everyone is a backup for everyone.
  • Your view is a very small. You only see part of the graph.

Data integrity

• Your identity is a cryptographic key. A digital signature.
  • Blockchain => immutable. It can only grow one way.
  • The evidence of edits are always there.

Privacy

• You can also put in private messages.
  • It doesn’t leak metadata about private messages.
  • The private messages are sent to everyone, but only one person is able to read it.
  • You can see who sent a private message, but not who it is for.

Q: Does it take much resources?
A: No, it will stay in the social graph.

Q: Will you see the private messages which are not for you?
A: No it will not be shown in the application. The application will only show you private messages
which are for you.

Application:

• Chess
  • GIT
  • Social Media
  • …more

Resilience

• Interesting because of social protests and governments could shut down the internet.
  • Scuttlebutt would still run.

Q: What happens when internet collapse.
A: It follows the social graph. It works over any kind of media. USB/Wifi/Bluetooth
It can work completely off the grid.

There are different islands of connections. There were some nazis in Norway using it in isolation.

Getting started

• Jacob recommends to start using it on a local network.
  • The main client for desktop is called patchwork, the app manyverse is for mobile.

Q: How can we find more information about this.
A: We have created a new webpage to introduce scuttlebutt. https://scuttlebutt.nz/

• This is about ownership about your own blockchain.
  • The coordination of the code is also online.
  • One of the challenges for development are the very local social networks.
  • The headache is that it is not the best tool of being anonymous.
  • It is more about letting people in oppressive regimes have access to the world outside.

Best of scuttlebutt

• Best part about scuttlebutt is the community.
  • Tool for meeting nice people in real life.
  • The best part is not seeing the whole planet. It is a nice filter for idiots … except for the Norway nazi islands.
4 Likes

Hi that Jacob is me :wave:

5 Likes

Hello @Emile and @JacobKarlsson, welcome!

I also use Scuttlebutt. I like the idea, and I like the people I have met, in the abstract, but I have to say that after a year on the network I have not made many connections. My attempts at starting conversations fall quite flat (example: %SnmxaMynurbQfsupTYQQOWSDLipMyLu5GZgbARohXTM=.sha256). Most of the conversations I seem to intercept are about… developing the Scuttlebutt protocol and the software for it.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Hej @alberto — I can only share what I have done; a little bit to improve the signal to noise ratio; in general I take who I follow very seriously, letting the network/client do the role of finding content. By this I mean I’ve (kindly) unfollowed several of the developers that are no longer 1 hop away but 2 hops. By doing this, I’ve follow more people that I enjoy reading and contributing to; but also have the visibility of the two hop people via the #channels — so in my case if someone posts nice photography or outdoor adventures I’ll see it. #channels permit a greater visibility for topics you may be interested in.

Following developers on scuttlebutt is akin to drinking from a firehose — which is in a way positive since they “dogfood” by using the network they have built to sustain the network.

Recently, by going to re:web in malmö I was able to do side trips to visit some of these friends that I have made, both in Rønne(DK) and Arnhem(NL); including some of the fine peeps at re:web(SE).

3 Likes

Noted with thanks. I have used channels in the past (especially #solarpunk), but with not a lot of results.

1 Like

@alberto — Just to follow up, there has been a bit of discussion on ssb in the last 24h — another is an exploration on how to better deal with the “dogfooding” and discussing a few strategies to avoid a low signal to noise ratio. I’d invite you to consider returning; as there has been an influx of a few solar punk and permaculture peeps.

The discussion, sparked by snailest starts at %i1Xcs0vB9/ARAJPclLRHLEXk/bDjuZpXlle/ZqNNiw0=.sha256 and I’d be more than happy to help you and others out to find the intersection of the social graph and community we all seek.

2 Likes

Cool Emile, thanks for the update! I’ve also not been on SSB for a couple of months, but will check back in soon.

1 Like