Session - Scuttlebutt intro by JacobKarlsson and Anders
- Scuttlebutt - nautical term. The “water cooler” of the ship.
- It is a network protocol a database and a bunch of clients.
What does it mean to me?
- Solves problem for sailors wanting to share adventures among each others.
- Available offline
- Keeping the connection in the same room. Wifi/bluetooth.
- Main application is a social network. But other things are possible to build upon it.
More about data and the network graph
- The reason it works offline is because everything is stored on your computer.
- [showing of a distributed graph] The rabbit will not see the cat.
- You dont have to store everything about everyone on the planet. You store 'friends of friends".
- All the friends help each others with storing the data.
- Everyone is a backup for everyone.
- Your view is a very small. You only see part of the graph.
- Your identity is a cryptographic key. A digital signature.
- Blockchain => immutable. It can only grow one way.
- The evidence of edits are always there.
- You can also put in private messages.
- It doesn’t leak metadata about private messages.
- The private messages are sent to everyone, but only one person is able to read it.
- You can see who sent a private message, but not who it is for.
Q: Does it take much resources?
A: No, it will stay in the social graph.
Q: Will you see the private messages which are not for you?
A: No it will not be shown in the application. The application will only show you private messages
which are for you.
- Social Media
- Interesting because of social protests and governments could shut down the internet.
- Scuttlebutt would still run.
Q: What happens when internet collapse.
A: It follows the social graph. It works over any kind of media. USB/Wifi/Bluetooth
It can work completely off the grid.
There are different islands of connections. There were some nazis in Norway using it in isolation.
- Jacob recommends to start using it on a local network.
- The main client for desktop is called patchwork, the app manyverse is for mobile.
Q: How can we find more information about this.
A: We have created a new webpage to introduce scuttlebutt. https://scuttlebutt.nz/
- This is about ownership about your own blockchain.
- The coordination of the code is also online.
- One of the challenges for development are the very local social networks.
- The headache is that it is not the best tool of being anonymous.
- It is more about letting people in oppressive regimes have access to the world outside.
Best of scuttlebutt
- Best part about scuttlebutt is the community.
- Tool for meeting nice people in real life.
- The best part is not seeing the whole planet. It is a nice filter for idiots … except for the Norway nazi islands.