Introducing hand gesture in meetings

Hi @reeflings !

For some time now, Team Facilitation has had the intention of introducing hand gestures to meetings, and there is finally a proposal to move forward with this. In fact, we are already using a some of them, but this adds a few more: https://c301.nl.tabdigital.eu/f/105906

As the proposal notes, using hand signals can make meetings run more smoothly and allows everyone to quickly display a response without having to speak out loud. The use of hand signals in meetings will be particularly beneficial for the Reef for two main reasons: there will come a time when we may have meetings that involve 50-60 people; and for online meetings, where rounds can take more time than is perhaps available.

The idea is to become proficient in utilising them as a smaller group now, so as to be better prepared for when they are needed in the future.

Could @RichardB, @Sebas and @Susanne_P have a look at it as part of the peer review process? All feedback welcome…

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

thanks! it’s a great idea . maybe too many signs for the first introduction.we could start with the most important ones first

1 Like

The hand signals proposal has been finalised by Team Facilitation. The plan is to slowly introduce them into the plenary meetings until we are familiar enough with them as a group, and also add them to the ‘Plenary meeting manual’.

@els and @mieke - could you have a look at the final revisions.
@reef-governance - could have a quick look at the section on voting, to check that it lines up with our other discussions. If there’s no problem with it, I will adjust the voting manual accordingly…

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ChrisM @mieke : Thanks chris, adding one comment, which is over-ruling sth mieke proposed during our facilitation meeting…

1 Like

All good for me.

1 Like

Can you have a look at my response to your comment @els

ok for me, i removed my comment (and your reply)

1 Like

At the Sociocracy for All facilitation training last night, I realised that we hadn’t specified a hand signal for withholding consent during a consent round. It’s a bit confusing if people just don’t do anything, particularly if it’s an online meeting. So I’ve add this function to the ‘I disagree’ hand signal… :slight_smile: