There is an interesting consortium building up around the call HORIZON-CL5-2023-D1-01-09: Behavioural change and governance for systemic transformations towards climate resilience.
Deadline 18 April 2023 17:00:00 Brussels time
@marina and I have been contacted by one of the co-leaders of the potential consortium who we met during the seminar on SSNA last year and I had a short call with her to hear the proposal.
The call aims to support the implementation of the EU Adaptation Strategy and the Mission on Adaptation to Climate Change by providing the decision makers with instruments to understand/influence behavioural change toward systemic transfomation.
The research should focus on:
- social tipping points,
- leverage points
- key governance interventions
They would like to include ER in the partnership because:
- importance of semantic analysis of the text (the field already in that direction)
- ER capacity to scale quickly
Their rough idea consist in building climate adaptation points/groups “cafés” in the areas of systemic risks, link them to different scales of governance & root them in the communities.
They should serve as seeds for triggering conversations and explore their evolution (maybe focusing on visual tools - social learning videos - and emotional engagement).
The general goal is to understand the logic and the mechanics of what is happening on the ground in such communities and what does that mean for governance.
It would include:
- comparison of different locations in
- different moments in time (with caffes as snapshots and people maybe traveling between places and sharing insights & experience) with
- the focus on what triggers the reactions and what happens after the trigger (so perhaps also the analysis of the social/regular media before and after etc.)
- understand what are the self-generating moments in a conversation
- capacity to follow the paths in case of unexpected directions in the conversations,
There is a consortium building meeting on 22 December and a final decision on participation or not should be taken by 9 January 2023.
IMO - it sounds like a good match IF we have the capacity to follow it through? It would certainly include the ethnography part, but might require quite some community management (depending on our level of engagement). It might be interesting to some degree also for the JEDI crowd.
They are looking to understand needs, motivations & capacity to participate in the call, asking direct questions:
- What is your “dealbreaker” for this project? What are the outcomes/processes that should be a part of this proposal that are absolutely necessary for me to be a part of this consortium. Without this, it wouldn’t be worth it for you.
- What would be an ideal outcome for you in this project? This could be in terms of a particular type of output, or something intangible, such as personal learning and development.
- What role do you envision playing in this consortium? What do you think you can contribute to this call that is particular to your individual strengths? (This could be professional and/or personal qualities).
The topics to cover:
- Social tipping points and leverage points in climate adaptation
- Features of good governance for systemic transformations to climate resilience
- Transformative conditions, capacities and learning feedbacks need for systemic change
…and the outputs expected:
- Concrete recommendations of operational nature to accelerate systemic change
- General guidance (including interrelations, alignment and coordination of stakeholders) at all scales leading to transformative tipping points
- Science for Policy operational framework and indicators for assessing potential and progress in behavior change and governance