Islington Mill: case study for a community of stewards

UPDATE: This session has been merged with another, here.

Independent curator Helen Kaplinsky and artist and director of Islington Mill Maurice Carlin invite a discussion concerning buildings and community assets arising from their experience working with arts organisation Islington Mill (North-west England).  The project has been defined by an approach of “open space architecture” in which the community defines activity within the building. In parallel with the #temporarycustodianship, the Islington Mill community are already shared custodians (or stewards) of the building. However, it is currently owned out-right by one individual and they are seeking to transfer the asset of the building over to a shared ownership model which is as yet undefined. As part of this they are researching models that will enable power to be spread across institutions, one example being liquid democracy (utilised by the Pirate Party who run their UK HQ from Islington Mill).

The following questions will be addressed:

1)What does a steward/ custodian look like?

2)What are the organisational blue prints for retaining a power share across a community of custodians/ stewards?

3)How might the question of the building as an asset be considered within the wider ecology of sharing of assets?

Date: 2014-10-25 13:30:00 - 2014-10-25 13:30:00, Europe/London Time.

URL: http://www.islingtonmill.com/about.php

you might want to get in touch…

Hi Maurice, looking forward to learn more about Islington Mill…

Just the other day I was reading about Community land trusts in New York binding together and empowering art collectives, perhaps it serves as inspiration? @SteveClare, who will also be joining us in Matera, knows a lot about collective ownership models and community engagement having been involved in helping communities purchase land throughout UK.

@Noemi @Natalia_Skoczylas Unfortunately Maurice can no longer make it so I suggest I can discuss Islington Mill in my session #temporarycustodians.