January deadline, organisation of the webinar

Hello everyone (@yudhanjaya, @joriam, @alberto, @nadia, @hugi, @bojanbobic, @MariaEuler, @lidiazuin)

I enjoyed reading the new chapters and really look forward to the continuation of the project.
The 31 January (selfimposed) deadline is closing in, the Messina residency needs to be prepared, there are a couple of more developments related to the worldbuilding project that may be worth looking into together.
I feel we should have a call to touch base and go over some details for the following months.

A couple of basics:

• It would be good to organise a presentation webinar of the Witness world
  • The right time for it is the end of February, beginning of March
  • We should release some of the material and prepare another video for the promotional campaign
  • This is the booklet we have produced on what has been done till now: SciFiLab_docs_Worldbuilding.pdf (15.4 MB)
  • This is the graphic novel: gn_WORLDBUILDING_def_full_2 (1).pdf (36.2 MB)
  • The good moment for the call would be Friday this week and I would propose 14 CET.

I would like to ask you all to let me know if it works for everyone

Would also be good to update some of the threads and inventories like this: Preliminary Worldbuilding Participitation Map/Table of content - What can you do where? in the worldbuilding Akademi in preparation so that people can jump into from such a webinar.

1 Like

Works for me!

1 Like

I’m loving this booklet and the comic! Wicked!

Friday 14h works for me as well. I’ll just go ahead and create a tentative event with all of us, ok? If the time is not right, I’ll also give everyone admin powers to move the event around.

I’ve got a couple of ideas and questions about next steps, but to me the all important question that I’d love to figure out is: who’s responsible (and/or capable) for turning the current material into a cohesive Wiki?

See you then, cat people

Edit: for the life of me I couldn’t find @bojanbobic and @lidiazuin’s email address! Yiiik, sorry, I couldn’t add you two .-.

1 Like

This Friday does not work so well for me, but if necessary I could join in for 30 min.

1 Like

Same! This Friday 14 CET works for me as well. Great job guys, both the comic and the booklet are looking good.

1 Like

Sounds good! Accepted the Friday 14th invite. I will be travelling, but should be able to connect.

Questions + stuff I’d like to discuss:

1. Presentation: We now have most of the original content plan sorted. Hygge (thanks, @Joriam), the Assembly, and Libria are in complete first-draft status. I’m fleshing out the Covenant, since @alberto did the economy piece on that many moons ago: that’s 4/5.

With the extensive History post, that makes it 5/5 posts; I’d really like Avantgrid in there for 6/5 - @hugi? Can you show me enough of Avantgrid so we can ninja it? :stuck_out_tongue:

What I originally wanted to do was what I think of as a stitching run: to take all the material and connect them to each other (especially dates of our fictional history, and add a few more hints of what @alberto and I thought of as the conflict zones - where the boundaries of these different ideals, represented by different Distrikts mix).

Now, after seeing the shape and structure that our thinking has followed (and especially the beautiful art and the gorgeous booklet), I would like to stitch it all together as a “Tourist’s Guide to Witness”, in the same vein that wikitravel is for backpackers. Thus it fits very neatly into both the booklet and the wiki structure.

2. Contribution: While we do that act of stitching, IMO we should all look for those ideas that we got from the participants of our first webinar and aggregate them into clusters of similar ideas. Those clusters we can reveal at the webinar, as microDistrikts, and invite participants to start imagining them and how they might grow!

Now there are many neat hooks from our core to bringing everyone else into the project: either to modify and contribute to the core, or literally spin up their own Distrikts and see how they interact with what we’ve set in place. This feeds very nicely into @MariaEuler’s participation map. How shall we pull this off? Who does what?

Would love to discuss.

2 Likes

Great. Friday 29, 14 CET it is.

Here is the link for the Zoom meeting and I will prepare a short agenda for then:

ID de réunion : 864 2593 5137
Code secret : 814375

@joriam, you ran away with the ball :slight_smile: but I have actually not received any invites / events from you.
To avoid double booking, I will send a calendar link with these coordinates to all.

Speak soon

1 Like

Oh, you did good! I created the event just to be proactive, but I didn’t have all the contacts. You’re the right person to do it.
I deleted my event so it’s not confusing.

You didn’t see my even though? gosh, I prolly invited some other (very confused) Ivan accidentally hahaha sorry about that!

1 Like

:joy:

no worries, it happens sometimes. I should ask the platform boss if I can change my nick to “ivan” since it is not in use anymore

The project that was going to be set in Avantgrid didn’t get funded so it’s a little on ice, basically, the development that happened is what I wrote already. Do you think it’s still cool to have in there, even though it’s maybe not tying into anything? If so, I can put up some notes - I just need to convert them from the bullet points and half-finished sentences they are currently in.

Absolutely! If you look at the Assembly (The Assembly of People) you will note that it’s right next to Avantgrid, which meant it was formed after Avantgrid arrived and docked:

… CTRL+ALT+REVOLUTION announced a “mass walkout” which would have led a mob of some three thousand into Distrikt 1 territory and to the grounds of Newton’s Folly, the building that was now serving as both Denton’s office and meeting grounds for various exchanges between Distrikt 1, 2, 3 and Avantgrid. The walkout was instead turned into a founding expedition when the State Machine sanctioned a new microDistrikt next to the Avantgrid infrastructure and the newly-formed Libria.

It would be very cool to have Avantgrid in - because it would represent that kind of energy-frugal all-sustainable living that may turn out far more resilient in the long run. I’ve been watching videos like these (and planning my own off-grid house) to get a handle on the challenges that people might face:

So yes. Please scribble down whatever you’ve got and let’s make it a thing.

1 Like

I know well the original ivan. I Asked him if I could change his username, and he agreed. So now you can log in to communities.edgeryders.eu and change your own username to ivan.

1 Like

Works for me

A short agenda:

Purpose: touch base with the team & organisation of the worldbuilding webinar :

• end February, beginning March
  • prepare promotional campaign:
    • outreach lists and material – booklets, graphic novel, Joriam a new video

@yudhanjaya’s ideas:

• stitch materials, art and the booklet together as a Tourist Guide to Witness - wikitravel for backpackers
  • look for ideas we got from the participants of the first webinar, create clusters of similar ideas. Show them at the webinar as microDistrikts,invite participants to start imagining them and how they might grow

other things to add?

updates and plans:

Discuss:

and talks with FdcM and FEBEA A possibility of collaboration ER - FdCM - FEBEA

Thank you all (@yudhanjaya, @joriam, @alberto, @nadia, @hugi, @bojanbobic, @MariaEuler, @lidiazuin) for the yesterday’s meeting.

Here are the bullet points & things we have agreed on :

Where we are : Covenant, Assembly & Libria – shaped, Hygge needs polishing, Avantgrid in arrival, booklet & graphic novel ready

What we need to do:

• prepare “History of Wintess” in the wiki form
  • conclude the other articles
  • prepare the presentation of the material and the mini website

Presentation of the material:

Webinar to be organised on 9 March 2021 (almost on the Ides, Caesar will not mind)

• shaped as an introduction to the process and not its conclusion – purpose: get the community in the common mindspace (@joriam)
  • invitations to the participants and people who have already expressed interest plus widen the range

It provides an entry point to the world and produces a clear call to action:

We need to:

• create a conclusive funnel with clear references and contacts («call a human» principle). Its proposed tasks:
  1. Introduce oneself topic : helps to get a grip on what skills people have
  2. Witnesspedia entry edits
  3. Comments to Witnesspedia entries : debate on the existing entries, proposal of new entries, distrikt and non distrikt proposals
  4. Put an accent on currencies (might become a big deal – worth playing around a bit)
  5. Non-text contributions : illustrations, videos, music, data visualisations, fictional economics papers
    References here.
  • produce a landing page with the explanantions – connects directly to the History of Witness and includes a paragraph on why of the project (@alberto)
  • prepare the wiki with illustrations
  • define the aspects of the promotional campaign (@nadia and @IvanC)
  • use the contributions already on the platform and provide feedback to ideas and questions of the community

And:

1 Like

I’m working on this website right now, which will be ready tonight, but still need these texts and materials.

I made the category public now since I need it for the website, which will show the articles, using the Discourse topics as a CMS. However, I still need the text for this which I thing @alberto or @yudhanjaya were going to write if I’m not mistaken?

Basically, the content that will go on the landing page of the Witnesspedia & Worldbuilding sessions website.

@IvanC, can you give me access to the folder with all illustrations that went into the graphic novel pdf? I want to use them for the website.

1 Like

@IvanC, @alberto, @yudhanjaya, @Joriam - there is a slight bug that is preventing the website from going up. Basically, we need to take care of a few edge-cases for formatting between Discourse and the website generator. Should not take too long, and also leaves us time to come up with that text for the landingsite.

@yudhanjaya - you might have noticed that I have added some additional syntax to The History of Witness. This is to prepare that post to be served to the website generator that turns Discourse posts into minisites. Stand by while we are working it out.

1 Like

(Moved the topic to the workspace, so we can keep the Witnesspedia cat for, well, the Witnesspedia).

On it today.

1 Like