Let's travel the Silk Road on rail bikes ("Project unMonastan")

I thought I would throw this out there for anyone interested. I often do long distance trips on human power (kayak/bike/walking). Is anyone interested in a month long project in the springtime 2015 which involves crossing the ancient Silk Road travelling on abandoned Soviet railways using purpose built rail bikes? (Uzbek - Kashgar)

Since there is no longer any “slow” travel along these routes, people have lost contact with the other towns and the essence of the Silk Road has ceased to exist. The isolation from one another has lead the once most vibrant cultural mashers to fade into obscurity. I would propose a media project that involves documenting people and places from along the way and showing them in the next village, to reconnect them. Film the people watching/discussing the previous film and show that in next village, perhaps streaming to previous one.

This is just one idea. There are numerous other possibilities/options. I have done such trips getting sponsors like magazines, sports companies, and airlines to pay and donate stuff -but this might qualify for cultural funding as well.

Anyone interested?

@Bembo_Davies

Hmmm, not out of the question. I have to get much more information on that part of the world, though.

Question: is the media project necessary? It seems to add a lot of overhead (also in terms of stuff you need to carry, which implies added security etc.). You, Jeff, are a writer; you could shrink down the project to a travel blog and take pictures with your phone.

(timestamp is wrong due to a Discourse issue when moving posts; correct timestamp is 2014-11-02 11:46am – @matthias)

This sounds like a lot of fun. So how to plan something like this, steps?

(timestamp is wrong due to a Discourse issue when moving posts; correct timestamp is 2014-11-02 11:46am – @matthias)

A friend of mine spent the summer of 2013 cycling from Paris to Astana (Kazakhstan), and is organizing people to cycle Milan to Astana next summer.

The similarity with your idea probably isn’t big enough to make direct collaboration possible. But she might have useful tips on contacts, planning, bureaucracy and so on. Happy to introduce you if you think it might be useful.

Illich, Prisoners of Speed > John Thackara – designing for life

Search for speed > http://www.preservenet.com/theory/Illich/IllichTools.html

But also:

Life in a society where speedy transportation is taken for granted renders time scarce in both of these ways. Activities related to the use of speedy vehicles by many people in a society occupy an increasing percentage of the time budget of most members of that society, as the speed of the vehicles increases beyond a certain point. Beyond this point the competition of transportation activities with stationary activities becomes fierce, especially competition for the allocation of limited real estate and available energy. This competition seems to grow exponentially with the rise of speed. The time reserved for commuting displaces both work and leisure time. Hence, the speedier vehicles are, the more it becomes important to keep them filled at all times. If they are individual capsules, they tend to become disproportionately costly and scarce. If they are public vehicles, they tend to be large, and run at infrequent intervals or along only a few routes.

As speed increases, the adaptation of life patterns to vehicles becomes more tyrannical. It becomes necessary to make constant corrections and amendments to the allocation of shorter periods. It becomes necessary to make appointments and commitments months or even years ahead. Since some of these commitments, which have been made at great cost, cannot be kept, there is a sense of constant failure which produces a sense of constant tension. Man has only a limited ability to submit to programming. When speed increases beyond a certain point, the transportation system vies with other systems in exhausting human tolerance for social controls.

Machines turn against men at a much lower level of power than would be ruled out by the first five criteria. But while these criteria identify necessary safeguards for life and liberty, the balance of purpose depends on a different kind of value. Conceptual rather than empirical criteria can be set for the constitutional limitation of power. It ought to be relatively easy for a majority to rule what abuse it will take from any minority, or what damage it will not expose its offspring to. The recognition of the most socially desirable power of a tool is of a different nature; it can only be the outcome of political procedure. The value obtained for time wasted on speed transportation is conditioned by the consensus in a community about the level of its freedom as a concrete option of its civilization.

Transportation beyond bicycle speeds demands power inputs from the environment. Velocity translates directly into power, and soon power needs increase exponentially. In the United States, 22 percent of the energy converted drives vehicles, and another 10 percent keeps roads open for them. The amount of energy is comparable to the total energy–except for domestic heating-required for the combined economies of India and China. The energy used up in the United States for the sole purpose of driving vehicles built to accelerate beyond bicycle speed would suffice to add auxiliary motors to about twenty times that many vehicles for people all over the world who want to move at bicycle speeds and do not or cannot push the pedals because they are sick or old, or because they want to transport a heavy load or move over a great distance, or because they just want to relax. Simply on the basis of equal distribution on a world-wide scale, speeds above those attained by bicycles could be ruled out. It is of course mere fantasy to assume an egalitarian consensus sufficiently strong to accept such a proposal. At closer inspection though, many communities will find that the very same speed limit necessary for equal distribution of mobility is also very close to the optimum velocity giving maximum value to community life. At 20 mph constant speed Phileas Fogg could have made his trip around the world in half of eighty days. Simulation studies would be useful for exploring imaginative policies that seek optimal liberty with convivial power tools. To whose advantage would Calcutta’s traffic flow stabilize if speeds were limited to 10 mph? What price would Peru’s military pay for limiting the nation’s speed to 20 mph? What gains in equality, activity, health, and freedom would result from limiting all other vehicles to the speed of bicycles and sailing ships?

(timestamp is wrong due to a Discourse issue when moving posts; correct timestamp is 2014-11-02 12:30pm – @matthias)

1 Like

Speed and Politics

I also like Virilio’s take on speed @Ben.

@Nadia What I usually do is first find an editor that wants to commission something so outlandish, once you have a commission then I go to companies who would benefit from appearing on those pages, to get free gear, etc. Also companies with stuff they want to experiment with. The Ukraine trip was 100% sponsored with equipment and gear and my travelling companion and I split the commission.

The other major cost is transport, so maybe the national airline feels they could benefit from some exposure. Turkish airlines loves to sponsor stuff.

All this is very time consuming @Alberto, so I thought of emphasizing the anthropological/digital inclusion/cultural autonomy side so we could get all resources from one source, like these guys did:

SEFT-1 Abandoned Railways Exploration Probe from The Arts Catalyst on Vimeo.

Me too.

But I’d rather live in Illich’s future than Virilio’s present :slight_smile:

Also Bifo, Time, Acceleration, and Violence - Journal #27

I’d never heard of rail bikes before I heard people talking about this at LOTE.

But actually, they connect back to some of the ideas of stewardship. There are lots of abandoned railway lines around Europe. It costs money to remove the tracks, so they often just lie there, gently rusting.

Rail bikes seem like a nice way to turn that unwanted state asset into something useful. So there’s a small leisure industry, built around rail-biking.

I’d imagine that starting up such a scheme goes through many of the usual difficulties connected to stewarding (ex-) state assets. e.g. getting permission to use the rails, building enthusiasm among local residents, getting hold of the bikes, etc, etc.

So I’d ask: where else around Europe could rail-biking be a good idea? Presumably there are some groups who have made rail-biking work, and others living around abandoned railways who might like the idea.

(timestamp is wrong due to a Discourse issue when moving posts; correct timestamp is 2014-11-05 9:01pm – @matthias)

1 Like

Good angle!

Well done, you.

My country, Italy, has plenty of no-longer-in-use railways. Many used to be run not by the national rail service, but rather by city-level transport utilities. In the town where I grew up, uncharacteristically, one of them was re-opened for use – after decades – while I was at university. It connects Modena to Sassuolo (I actually managed to travel on these romantic 1932 trains before they replaced, now parked at one of the stations). Curiously, the twin line (connecting Modena to Vignola) was never re-opened.

The most pictoresque abandoned railways in Italy are probably the ones that used to serve the coal mines in Sardinia.

1 Like

It would work great in Paris too;)

Would suit England very well

I am kind of amazed that this hasn’t taken off in England! We have just under 5,000 km of disused railways (after the Beeching cuts), many of which connect to rural places which no longer have any real public transport links. The roads in these areas are typically very narrow, with lots of blind bends, and carry a lot of high-speed freight traffic. Not ideal cycling conditions.

Convertible railbikes

Just found this: there is seemingly a special tow-behind trailer for bikes that can also be converted to a kind of sidecar, transforming the bike into a railbike [see]. Seems possible to DIY build, and would mean you don’t need tracks all along the way …