Loneliness, how do you fight it?

I hear you @ticon

A friend is going on about me getting a VR headset so we can play games together while apart. Maybe this is a nice option?

a work commitment

well said - it really does feel like that

Here is how one California teacher fights it:

1 Like

I am exactly with you on this, @johncoate. The reason why I never feel bored or lonely is because my mind is constantly looking to make meaning of things, it is continuously in a reflective mode. So walking or small house distractions are good to allow for some activity thatā€™s not static, but where your mind can wander (and relax as well).

Like @amelia, I miss this a lot:

What I miss is the travel and daily non-intensive interactive motion, where I feel like Iā€™m alone around people and feeling the changed vibe of new places ā€“ getting coffee at a coffeeshop, people watching, experiencing live music, wandering around a museum or art exhibition-- where I donā€™t have to put effort into social interaction but I can experience the flow of the world.

Then again, there are two things that never allow me to grow consciously lonely (perhaps loneliness does have some long arms and by the time you realise it, youā€™re already lonely or worse, depressedā€¦ so letā€™s stick to the conscious level). They could be ā€˜a solutionā€™ to loneliness, but also maybe a cause to other afflictions down the lineā€¦ so this is not advice, this is just personal experience.

1. keeping busy, in my case with a lot of work, but could also be the equivalent of introvertsā€™ passions that @matthias is talking aboutā€¦
  2. having a significant other very close, so the brain gets its oxytocin and dopamine that support the feeling of being connected and staying hopeful.
1 Like

What a lovely thread! Why do I find it only now? :slight_smile:

(Me, not much to contribute, I do not feel lonely at all. Just lucky I guess)

2 Likes