Lote5 fundraising: Reach out to foreign embassies in Brussels for travel grants

Enquiries sent so far

Sweden, Denmark, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Ireland and Morocco. Used templates but modified them for each recipient. Also in tone. Let’s see what works and then I’ll do a second round. Can someone send the ones to the US and Canadian Embassies as well as relevant foundations/institutions based on Brussels? Ping @Jean_Russell regarding appropriate messaging… template here.

1 Like

Reply from Swedish embassy

So rather than just ask for travel financing, I left it open: would they be interested in partnering with us and if the ambassador be interested in joining us in person.

The turnaround time was less than one day. Now they want to know how we think they could be involved (the Ambassador is based in Sweden and has crazy schedule when in time). I’ll think of something, pitch it and report outcome here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No from Ro

It’s a negative answer… well, cant say I’m surprised. onwards.

At least they replied and they were quite reactive @Noemi! I’m not sure Armenian embassy will answer at all :smiley:

Called back the first five, sent of the rest and got appointment

So I did a round of phonecalls to the first 5 embassies I sent emails to last week - I always do this when I send off “pitch” enquiries. Results: Meeting with Swedish Ambassador first week in January, asked to forward email to different address for Netherlands, Irish embassy staff had seen it and were discussing it this week (good that we called), Danish embassy unlikely to offer finance but may help in other ways.

I also sent out the template mail to something like 100 other embassies. Let’s see :slight_smile:

Lessons learned:

1. Offer open ended invitation to partner and have set of options to choose from. Before you do get in touch think about what it is am embassy is there to do, and how what you have to offer can contribute…don’t start with what you want.

2. Call them around 5 days after first email to check for response.

ok fingers crossed!