Making a Living: Work that pays- not a job thanks!

• What do you look for when you look for work? Money, obviously. Security? The opportunity to contribute to society, to build something useful? A feeling of belonging?
  • What concrete efforts are you making to achieve these objectives?
  • What are the roadblocks standing in your way?
Tips
  • State your experience (what are you doing in practice) as well as the reasoning behind it (why you are doing it)
  • You can write as much as you want. We suggest about 400 words.
My Response (one that I wrote previously):

I don’t look for jobs anymore. For several reasons. The main one of which is that I’ve found that realising my own projects takes as much time and is much more likely to yield good results than is “looking for a job”; plus it’s just more emotionally and socially rewarding. Even when I have been offered jobs, unless they are focused on a specific projects in which I have a lot of say in defining what we are to do and how we are to go about getting it done,  I tend to lose interest quite quickly.  The roadblocks standing in my way is that I want to realise ideas and approaches, experiment and be able to make mistakes and having  a “job” often means getting paid to do what someone else has decided needs to be done in the way that they want it done. Plus a job often = lots of weird politics and rules that feel like " a infrastructure built by an alien civilisation that left a long time ago, and took the operating manuals with them".