Meetings and not-so-interesting (practical) issues

@Lee Hi again, you also mentioned a list of reading recommendations. Where is that and could it also be on the Reef G-drive please? Thanks, Sabine

Hi @Sabine_B_Frank,

I uploaded the folder with “books and manuals” to the Reef’s Google Drive.

I am quite Google illiterate though, so I don’t know how to move the “Reef’s way of doing things” to the Reef’s Google Drive. Given that we are about to change to another platform I’m also not very enthusiastic to invest energy in this. Unless somebody else would volunteer, I will provide an overview of which documents can be found where in case the “digital infrastructure” issue would take longer than expected.
Cheers!

Hello @Sabine_B_Frank and @Lee and all. Everything is now here, including:

1. The Reef’s Way of Doing Things.
  2. The books and materials uploaded by Lie.
  3. The minutes of this week’s meeting
  4. The presentation given by Lie at that meeting.

CORRECTION – The Reef’s Way of Doing Things is not in the Google Drive, but here. This is not an oversight, but a problem with granular allocation of editing rights.

Done. I already committed to making a proposal for the digital infrastructure, but am not yet ready for it (testing of Nextcloud under way).

I don’t think we should add any agenda points. This is going to be a “cleanup” meeting, coming immediately after the last one, that introduced a lot of novelty.

I have done this on the template page itself, though I might want to revisit it.

I am still fine-tuning a couple of proposals though. I’ll be using the “track changes” mode, so everybody can see them.

Can we agree that having two meetings in 8 days time is a bit heavy at this stage?

1 Like

Yes, we might have been a bit overenthusiastic. :slight_smile: Still, work done is done, and we can move on.

Hello @reeflings,

Just a quick message to let you know that Alberto has uploaded the minutes of last meeting on the Reef’s Google Drive.

My proposal would that if you have any comments or edits, that you introduce them in the document using the “editing mode”, so that we can adopt the minutes at the next meeting without losing too much time.

Would that be ok?

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

Hello @reeflings

I have allowed myself to put Lie’s agenda for tomorrow in the same document as Alberto’s minutes of the last meeting. The idea is to have a “rolling document” (agendas become minutes; latest agenda/minutes get added on top; list of meetings at the top link to the minutes/agendas). In my view it is very practical to keep everything in one document. You can disagree with me tomorrow, but I thought I’ll demonstrate what I mean.

Best, Sabine

1 Like

Hello @reeflings,

I just wanted to let you know that I would like to adjourn the agenda points that we had listed for our next meeting, because there is something else, more fundamental and rather serious, that I would like to discuss you with you first. Would that be ok?

Hello ! ok with me

1 Like

Dear @Lee ,

of course! Malcolm has already been preparing for a discussion on ecological aspects of The Reef, but I guess he’ll be just as happy to hold on with that until January.

1 Like

Dear @reeflings,

Having given some further thought to next week’s meeting I would like to propose to cancel it altogether. The reason is that there is something rather fundamental that unsettles me a bit. Postponing the meeting has the advantage that it gives me a bit more time to read up and consult with some people with more experience, and also that we would see each other in person.

Would that be ok with you? If yes, I’d be happy to invite you at my place on Thursday 6 January, say at 7 pm?

1 Like

Dear @Lee and hello @reeflings,

@Malcolm and I are fine with cancelling next week’s online meeting and happy to come to your place on 6th Jan.

We feel a bit on tenterhooks though with you just saying there is sth ‘fundamental’ without knowing which domain it relates to.

A good break to you all!

Sabine

1 Like

Hi @Sabine_B_Frank,

There is no reason to worry really, and apologies if I made you feel uncomfortable. I was feeling a bit at unease with the way we were doing things, and I would like to have a short discussion about that. Not in an accusatory way, but rather proposing an alternative.

The Samenhuizen course on governance and decision-making helped in seeing things more clearly. Based on that and a couple of other books I read I am now working on a proposal for the Reef’s governance, which should hopefully solve a couple of the issues I was struggling with. I’ll happily share the document as soon as it is somewhat stable.

Other than that I also found a lot of inspiration in a book called “The Empowerment Manual” by Starhawk. It’s a book based on a woman’s experiences in all sorts of collaborative groups, including everything that can go wrong. The case example to illustrate a couple of issues is a cohousing. I haven’t finished it yet, but so far I find the book offers a lot of inspiration together with a good analysis of some key concepts such as power, responsibility, communication, learning, trust, leadership etc. I left a digital copy in the “books” folder on the Nextcloud, so if you are feeling inspired during the Christmas break, I can only recommend the book.

Hello Everyone! We are ok with cancelling the meeting online this week. We look forward to continue the discussion on the 6th. thank you for sharing !

1 Like

Dear @reeflings

Sabine has just shown me how to upload a document to the Reef’s Google Drive: it’s a discussion document on Sustainability and co-housing.

I invite you to read it ahead of our meeting on Thursday. I have a Powerpoint ready too, but all this can wait if Lie needs Thursday’s meeting for her agenda item.

Happy New Year!

Malcolm

1 Like

Thanks @Malcolm. I have done a pass on your document, good work. I wonder, should it not be on the platform for discussion?

thank you! very interesting reflections

thank you alberto, does somebody has the link to download a copy of the empowerement manual? thank o