New Entities: New world circumstances enable new ways to make your project happen

Context:

Almost every ingredient of enterprise - everything required for people to cooperate in creating and sharing value - has radically altered in the last 20 years.

But we’re still running most projects inside restrictive destructive inefficient structures created over a century ago: corporate and government bureaucracies.

These new circumstances - the internet, digital creative tools, agile manufacturing, and more - must enable new ways to come together to create. Come to this session to explore the new reality and the new opportunities.

This matters to me because it’s the cutting edge I’m working on right now. How do I work full time on abundance creating open source technology? How do I feed myself and have a place to live and tools to work with? How do we spend our time doing what we’re good at and care about? How do we make sure we’re free to work from inspiration (rather than desperation or habit)? How do arrange for the resources needed and create the greatest results with the least effort?

Strucure:

Getting clear on the new reality:

(5 minutes) Moderator briefly introduces some relevant changes since the heyday of the corporation

(5 minutes) Group exploration of the space: What’s new that affects how we get together, get resources, get things done, share the results, and (if we want it) get paid.

(10 minutes) First breakout: groups each deep dive into an aspect of the situation that matters to them.

(10 minutes) First synthesis: Quick reports back from each group on their most important insights.

Responding to the new reality:

(10 minutes) Group exploration: How do we respond? What new possibilities occur to us? I’ll share my ideas as part of this.

(10 minutes) Second breakout: each group develops some new way to act: a new model, or structure, or tool, for cooperation, for a project or a community or an enterprise. Come back with at least one new way to get things done.

(10 minutes) Final synthesis: What have we learned, and what do we want to take further?

This session may result in one or more unconference sessions.

Further Information:

Aspects of the new reality:

Cheap and easy communication (internet)

Powerful tools for association (social media)

Atomised trading (everything for lease by the second).

• Servers
  • Telecoms
  • Manufacturing
  • Consulting
  • Dumb work (fiver, mechanical turk)
  • Logistics and fulfilment

Agile manufacturing (make almost anything, cheaply and well even in small quantities) - in progress

• 3D printing 
  • CNC machining
  • Short run injection molding
  • Electronics manufacture (PCBs, Pick & Place, solder reflow)

Robotics and automation - just starting, really

• Drone survey
  • Drone delivery

Decline of incomes

• median wage income peaked in 1979 (even under very generous assumptions)
  • private pensions bankrupt or loss making
  • Increased working hours and decreasing real pay and security, against increased real gross profits, make corporate salary less attractive than ever.

Collapse of social security

• widespread and increasing austerity as governments find themselves unable to take on more debt

Massive Increases in productivity

• GDP/capita and GDP/hour are higher than ever
  • Unmeasured productivity adds to that trend (p2p, grey & black markets are growing rapidly)

Date: 2014-10-26 11:30:00 - 2014-10-26 11:30:00, Europe/Brussels Time.

Super interesting!

Sounds right up my street, @Leo. I’ll be there.