New Internet tech, equality and justice: a possible event in the fall?

I agree we need to get deep into the industrial tech policies, and overall competitive strategy design process (an awful lot of ill informed “me too” rages in EU since a decade or two) inevitably including the issue of lobbying… and I agree this investigation would be a dignified activity on its own… In reason of Paul KT & Haddad C 2019 (the last link in my previous post) however, I am not sure we can disentangle the two analyses too easily, since also your original enquiry was meant to inform future policy making… up for conversation about how to arrange the coordination of the efforts.

Concerning Julia, no… I have the same news as you, I guess… but my understanding is that she is fed up with the political side and EU parliament… not with the entire topic… and once anyone is as deep in it as she is, I cannot bring myself to believe she can simply turn away… it’s in her :slight_smile:
Anyway a message would not hurt, if we were to go through with this… :angel:

Has Likes

@markomanka indeed!

We will organise a one-day event in Brussels at End of November, 2019.

Day session: focuses on Ai as tech. Key audience is MEPS, parliamentary assistants and key people at EC. Location is Near European Parliament. Exact format t.b.d. In partnership with: …feel free to add your own suggestions here (I am discussing with FEPS).

Evening session: focuses on tech & socialecological sustainability. Key audience is the tech/hacker scene. Details T.b.d with @rmdes re: a collaboration with Digityser.

I will be in the driving seat to make it happen together with our outreach teams as this is a topic that touches on both the Internet of Humans and Wellbeing in Europe initiatives. And it makes sense to have it as a focal point if we want this work we are doing to have some kind of political impact right now - i can explain during our next call.

To prepare and drive engagement towards this event, we want to have a focused campaign to surface experiences, people, projects, places and collective insights that will feed into this event

Ping @inge @fsimonov @hugi @natalia_skoczylas @johncoate @Jirka_Kocian @Richard @MariaEuler @marina , This is one of the campaigns we will discuss during our first call on content curation & communication - we are just waiting for @noemi to fill in the doodle so we can set the day and time for the weekly calls.

Has Likes

@nadia can we pinpoint a date already? Tuesday 19th November, for example? (the final week of November there is a session in Strasbourg, I think: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sed/doc/news/lookingaheadagenda/21361/Cal2019_en.pdf)

Pinpointing a date eliminates the need for another round of confirmations and makes logistics simpler.

Has Likes

Ok @rmdes ping.

Has Likes

Let me see what is happening that day on our side…

I also need to know :

How much people is projected to come?
What format? (panel? , speakers + presentation slide?, interactions layer for the public?)

If we brainstorm this well we can organize something unique & really good for the community!

Let me know what you need!

OK now I see the idea… This is really cool! I definitely want this event to happen!

Can we organise the next IOH community call around co-designing this event and the process leading up to it? What do you think @johncoate and @MariaEuler ?

Sure, maybe scheduling it for next month? Or what type of timeline did you have in mind @nadia?

I put it here https://edgeryders.eu/t/community-calls-lets-talk-almost-face-to-face/10110 as a reply

Has Likes

Apparently I have imported a Swedishicism: http://www.urbanictarena.se/lasagna-model-pipes-lasagne/

The idea is, as Alberto alludes to, that you have technologies which are layered in the sense that each layer can stand on its own two feet, takes care of its own security problems, etc. For networked technologies this is a main departure from old-style telecommunications networks which were assumed to be deployed and operated by the same entity.

Has Likes

A much belated response in the thread continuation by Alberto.

Hey, almost done with first skeleton draft of what we discussed.

Has Likes

I’m working on these forms of conceptualisations of technologies with a view to illustrating /where/ and /who/ does /what/ and /how/. The particular attachment concerns consumer worries with connected fridges - it’s a sketch/draft.

I was put in a pickle with the physical and datalink layers, because there’s actually a bit of information transmitted already at/for the physical layer. But ok.

Has Likes

the idea is to be able to put in where different features are/could be standardized, or perhaps even map to vendors/value chains. there’s a universe out there waiting to be OSI:fied.

Has Likes

Ok - do I understand correctly?

For the purpose of this discussion/session we need to be quite specific so as to have a set of “case studies”. We pick a set of specific well documented stories/ incident where certain injustices manifested and map out the connections between the where/what/when/how of technologies involved…and the who/where/when/how of decision making mechanisms or processes involved.

The visuals you sent are a proposed way to approach/structure the discussion.

Yes?

For the purpose of this discussion/session we need to be quite specific so as to have a set of “case studies”. We pick a set of specific well documented stories/ incident where certain injustices manifested and map out the connections between the where/what/when/how of technologies involved…and the who/where/when/how of decision making mechanisms or processes involved.

Ah, sorry. I posted the picture because it looks nice (to lighten up the mood). On the stories we need to document, I believe it’s easier to group stories by forum (where an event takes place), since it is the nature of the forum that determines what the future courses of actions are.

That said, OSI layer conceptualisations can be used to illustrate how different technologies relate to each other. Maybe a consideration for a later report? At the workshop stage focus could be on strategic issues more than graphics.

Has Likes

How about we set up the next two community calls, on August the 20th and September the 3rd of September as “How to get involved with the Edgeryders festival” meetings for the whole community (directly inviting members who we would like to participate to clear up the process with them and see if maybe there is some overlap with other so they ould team-up.)
The next one on September 17th could be about discussing the concrete topics and ideas of those who will participate before they start writing their preparation threads.

From there we could see if we want to talk more about one of those threads/topics already ahead of the festival or what the next steps for the calls would be.

What do you think @nadia, @inge and @johncoate ?

Has Likes

yes

great idea @MariaEuler.

@fsimonov we make a (mental) note on this and (pre-emptively) start designing best outreach plan

Has Likes

Sounds good to me.