New proposal: ATSI (LC-GD-1-3-2020)

Ok then, an anthology of contributors rather than big conversation…doable?

In the sense that we don’t do a big general outreach thing but rather very specifically invite people to contribute to a collaboratively built book on the topic. And get paid for their contributions.

Looks good to me. This is the kind of subject matter I think we should be involved with. Would be cool to gain a reputation for convening people in the climate action space.

We can always scale up or down the amount of content we are able to code as needed/number of ethnographers. One ethnographer means a lot less coordination effort, so you can still get a lot coded with one experienced person (see me in Open Care for an example). The more ethnographers you add, the more time you spend coordinating between ethnographers, but you get more content coded overall and can introduce more validation measures like intercoder reliability. So it’s scalable, but not neatly linear, and single, small and large groups of ethnographers have their positives and negatives.

1 Like

Ok, reporting after todays meeting.

• Large project, many partners, 6 million.
  • We are in WP2, called citizen engagement. That is not where the principal investigator is.
  • WP2 led by M | Path, a spinoff of Trinity College (itself the coordinating partner).
  • This is to be based on a concept called “collective cognition”, “the sudden comprehension of risk that leads to action (Comfort, 2007)”.
  • The partners do not know Edgeryders well, and see us more as a data processing outfit.
  • Other partners (notably M | Path) to do ethnography.
  • With @amelia, we decided to use this project to see how well we can digest other people’s ethnographies.

To do:

• By tomorrow, 2020-12-10 12:00: add to the WP draft description (done).
  • By tomorrow, 2020-12-10 EOD: submit estimates for PMs and direct costs. Already done by @marina , need to be submitted (just an email to Dimitra). Marina, I left you some comments in the spreadsheet.
  • By tomorrow, 2020-12-10 EOD: write an email to Mary-Lee to claim a role in the WP on ethics/data. (done)

I just submitted our PM monthly rate to Isobel (admin template), not total costs. So tomorrow we can send those estimates to Dimitra. I am just wondering should we revise some of the items in the internal draft budget before?

For example, it is still unclear what we will be doing in terms of engagement or what does “dealing with other people’s ethnographies” mean in terms of budget?

Engagement: no idea, that’s @nadia’s province.
Other people’s ethnographies: that’s just a description of “maintaining a consistent ontology”.

@nadia on the basis of what we currently know and the position in which we are in, could you estimate (very roughly for now) how much we would need for engagement part and for what exactly? This is our draft budget.

ok looking now

This was already done. Now I need to look at what they actually took into account (their budget was just sent to us) and then come back to you all.

1 Like