NextCloud + Tutamail integration

Nextcloud has a nice new feature: seamless integration with Tuta. a German privacy-aware mail service. Tuta is basically an alternative to Proton. While the Proton interface seems more well-rounded, I decided to go with Tuta for now, as Proton’s stance on privacy is not fully convincing, and because I am trying to go with EU-based tech providers.

Integration means you can now access your Tuta account from within Nextcloud. You can also one-click upload into Nextcloud files that you receive by email. More integration features are certainly coming. Nice to see this ecosystem develop!

I am putting this here in case other @reeflings , like me, are trying to disentangle themselves from American Big Tech. We all already use NextCloud, so it’s a 30-seconds job to integrate the two. Here’s the result:

4 Likes

Is Proton not EU-based? We’re trying to do the same, and it’s one of the reasons we switched to it…

2 Likes

No, Proton is Swiss.

Interesting! And does this mean that Proton may be more susceptible to US pressure down the line? Or is it that EU-based tech providers will be easier to integrate with one another? Or something else… :slight_smile:

Not necessarily. What it means is that there is no path for us to exert any democratic control. For now Proton is well aligned with my values, but so was Google in 2004. I guess what I learned is that I want as much leverage as possible over the infrastructural services that I use.

1 Like