NGI Ethno Report

And once you’ve assigned a code for a concept, stay with it (or edit/update it across the corpus). The reason we call our codebook an “ontology” is that it’s more than a list of codes — it’s a compendium of participant meaning. If I call in-person human interaction face-to-face then I need to continue to use that phrase, rather than also assigning codes physical human interaction, real-life contact, and so on.

If I use the connection between the codes built to last and legacy, I need to not then also assign codes longevity and making one's mark or even longevity and legacy to a different story later in the month. You can see that this consistency goes beyond not assigning single codes with the same meaning – it also requires being consistent with the co-occurrences you use to capture when people express the same sentiment (e.g. people expressing that they want to leave something material behind that outlives them, that stands in testament to their memory).

Let’s try really hard going forward to be diligent about our coding practice, because this is the only way those codes will meaningfully capture what our participants are expressing.

1 Like

@Wojt, @Jan @Jirka_Kocian @SZdenek @Richard this applies to POPREBEL too, so please take note of the comments I’ve made in the previous 2 comments on this thread.

1 Like

@amelia: Sorry, I accepted your invitation to the next coding meeting before I checked my diary. I have an online Meet-the-Freshers meeting at the same time. R

1 Like

No worries! We’ll keep track of our progress (all changes will be reflected in the codebook on OE now).

I’ve now updated the Open Ethnographer Manual with this information, so please use it for reference.

Wow, this is gold. :bowing_man:

2 Likes

It’s in the manual now, under “Big Picture” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@katejsim and @Leonie, I suggest a division of labour until we meet again 21st September.

Based on the above principles, I’d like you two to focus on taking a second pass and recoding the threads that have already been coded, cleaning up and fixing the coding on those threads so they more closely conform to these coding standards.

In the meantime, I will work on coding new threads. My goal is to code at least 14 full threads by our meeting time.

Looking forward to speaking in September, and let me know if you need anything in the meantime.

Morning!

If you need a Zoom link for this afternoon’s meeting, we can use this one: https://zoom.us/j/4149496930

R

1 Like

Hi @katejsim and @Leonie! As we talked about, in order to make sure our codes stay tidy going forward (and we don’t have to do another epic week of 2-3 hour meetings) we will schedule a bi-weekly coding meeting for NGI.

The meeting structure will be straightforward – we will go through all the newly assigned codes since the last meeting (as in, all codes that have been newly created, not ones that have been reused) and make sure they aren’t duplicates of those which came before, as well as making sure we all know how to use them.

This will technically involve us all opening the ethno-NGI codes page and sorting by “newest”. The meetings will be an hour, less if we make it through all the codes. We will also of course open the floor to other questions, comments, and discussions.

Let’s set a recurring day and time for this – I propose 2-3pm on Mondays. Does this work for you all?

Sounds good. Monday 2-3pm works for me.

Sounds Good!

Fab. Calendar invite sent out with zoom link included in the invite.