NGI Ethnography Team Calls

*edited.

Never mind what I wrote before, thought you wanted to move it to a different day. Tuesday 17:00 CET works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can make Tuesday at 8.

Agenda items for meeting on Nov 16:

• Discourse admin status for me and @Leonie
  • AMA debrief
1 Like

Bi-weekly meeting notes
Present: @johncoate @alberto @Leonie @katejsim

AMA debriefing
Successful first one! Rich engagement, good stat.

Following up on Anton’s:

• @alberto will circulate recap post to encourage follow-up engagement
  • In a week’s time, @katejsim will ask Anton to check back in, if he’s able to
  • Based on how this goes, we’ll set up a system of following up on AMAs

Strategies for making AMA discussion more in-depth:

• Extend beyond one hour for live portion. Half day?
  • Make the introduction post more substantive
  • Ask speakers to answer some questions in the days leading up to spark more interesting discussions during the live session
  • Prep speakers to consider policy implications. One way to do this is to phrase policy questions differently since speakers may not feel they have much to say about “policy.” For example: “If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want to see?”; “What are the biggest obstacles? What makes them difficult and what do you want to see instead?”; “If you could do this again, how would you do it differently?”

Next AMAs

• We agreed to make the AMAs monthly. Might be good practice to stick to the same time (every second Wednesday of the month, for example). Thoughts?
  • @johncoate and @MariaEuler, are there any topics in particular from our planning thread that you think would be well-received?
  • All the prep work for AMA is in the planning thread. Who’s able to organize the next one?

Code review
@katejsim is working on AI governance threads, @Leonie on infrastructure threads.

3 Likes

id say you need people to have filled in the comment space/get it. active already before we hit the go button on communication and outreach campaign. Engagement, like nature, abhors a vaccuum.

Now done.

1 Like

@nextgenethno had to reschedule bi-weekly call tomorrow to Dec 2 at 5pm BST. I know this isn’t your week to join, but pinging @johncoate @MariaEuler as a FYI since we have the AMA coming and all.

Agenda items

1. NGI while Mia’s away
  2. AMA prep (@Leonie)
  3. Code review
2 Likes

Will be there.

Yep me too

Oh wait - that conflicts with the biweekly team meeting. Same date and time.
BST and CET are the same: https://24timezones.com/difference/bst/cet

@johncoate are you referring to a different bi-weekly? This one’s just for this week because of @Leonie’s scheduling conflict. Is there something you urgently need to bring up? Otherwise, no worries if you can’t make it.

Right. I need to be at the ER biweekly meeting more than the ethno meeting, but I like the ethno meeting and do need to do some research on the upcoming people for the AMA.

ye, mainly the AMA stuff. Should we have quick check-in regarding that? Maybe we could start 15 min early and just quickly go through that before JOhn and me leave? (Only if you think that would be good to have)

1 Like

That’s a good idea, and we’ll stick to that format moving forward, so we spent 15 min on AMA, and the rest is up for codign review.

2 Likes

ok so the call starts 16:45?

1 Like

Revised agenda for tomorrow at 5pm BST:

1. NGI while Mia’s away (5m)
  2. AMA prep (15m)
  3. Code review (40m): coding checklist

@Leonie @amelia , I realize our code reviews usually run crazy over time, so I was thinking we develop a coding checklist of 3-ish items for assessing salience of the codes. It can help us think through our codes individually as we code. And during the review, it can speed up the process and establish consistency. What do you think? Drawing from this ethnography wiki, a few starters I had in mind:

Is your code salient? Does it meaningfully capture the essence of what’s being said?

• ex) participants discussing whether something is machine learning, AI, etc. → defining terminology

Is your code explicit? Does it make explicit what’s going on?

• ex) interviews pushing back on dominant ways of framing an issue → nuancing the debate and reframing priorities

Is your code congruent with other codes?

• ex) if we have already established convention for action-state codes as being --- then stick to the format → being practical and being strategic rather than pragmatism and strategies (former codes also more specific to what’s being captured)

What will it look like on graphryder?

1 Like

We still start 17:00?

@katejsim this is excellent, thank you! I would maybe add one more point: is it replicable/dynamic: is it broad enough for it to be relevantly applied across different threads?

@MariaEuler can you and @johncoate join for 5min at 5pm or can you only join if it starts a bit earlier? I am flexible either way.

one minor note for our meeting today: let’s briefly talk about the OxDeg talk we tentatively scheduled for the end of February. David asked for an abstract as they are putting together the programme for next term. I think we might want to consider moving this to the spring.