Notes from Ethnographic Training – Krakow 3/21
We had a productive session and got to know each other better. Everyone picked up the technical aspects of the coding brilliantly, and we got to play around with GraphRyder and learn the ropes. We also had good discussions about the coding methods we want to use, the standards we want to maintain, and the hopes that we have for the project as a whole.
- Create a shared folder of texts to read before we start coding (Jan has a few in mind)
- Create a coding exercise that we can all do remotely. We will make 4-5 duplicates of the same post, code it, and see what we find in terms of differences/similarities, then discuss.
- start with this topic on well-being and get to the point where they are talking about political engagement, broadly understood.
- Answer: why do people support these ideas and/or find them compelling? How do communities of discourse emerge?
- Say something about how emerging network and evolving conversation is changing people’s understanding of the problem
- Stay positively and productively engaged
Requests and Technical Issues
- Ability to only edit our own codes (can’t edit other people’s)
- See only codes from the current project as suggestions
- Have a codebook display when coding (so, alongside suggested codes also the codebook entry. Need to figure out how to best do this visually)
- Bring back function to add description to code while coding (to make the codebook then and there rather than in backend)
- Have a way of searching for/showing/visually highlighting all instances of one code in a post (for recoding)
- Have a way of assigning meta-codes/pattern that do not end up in the SSNA (so, ability to toggle between coding modes: semantic codes that do appear in Graph Ryder and non-semantic codes used for ethnographic analysis).
- Ability to choose a date range to see when codes appear (instead of the sliding scale)
- Have that appearance tied to when the post was made that the code appeared in, rather than when the code was assigned (to try and track emergence of ideas)
- Can’t search for codes in administration (can only click through).
- Lots of “oops” dialogues when you try to a) show a code b) destroy a code and a few other functions in administration
- Can’t re-assign annotations to other codes in administration
- When a code is renamed, if it has a parent-child relationship that relationship is deleted.
- Word cloud shrinks in Graph Ryder
- Small reset button doesn’t work in Detangler view on GR