Notes from the Team Finance meeting of 2022-01-16

Ok, I made an appointment for tomorrow, Friday 3, at 14.30. Link on the calendar.

1 Like

@ugne and @RichardB, however Mark has not confirmed yet. He has the email…

@ugne and @RichardB , Mark got back to us, asking for the meeting to be instead at 15.30. I said yes, based on what I know of your calendars, and updated the calendar event on Nextcloud.

2 Likes

Hi @Alberto, thanks - I have responded to your comments and added language on the 2-4% surplus that is proposed for new Reefllings (see marked up in yellow). We discussed during yesterday’s team meeting that it would be good to move this into the unit pricing proposal, because it is just another variable that changes the square meter price so discussing everything at the same time seems logic. Pls let me know your thoughts and if any further changes required.

2 Likes

Noted, will be there

Hello @ugne and @RichardB. I created a slide deck for the presentation about the choice of a legal form. It lives here.

(@Lee: the reasoning is to present this discussion at a very simple level, before even bringing in experts like Joost. Too many Reeflings have not thought about this at all.)

2 Likes

Hi @reef-finance , Im also very sorry to have missed the meeting on Wednesday. I messaged Ugne too late, I was convinced the meeting was on Thursday :woman_facepalming: . Just wanted to share that the notes I took followign the meeting with team inclusion on the investors for the inclusive units are here (internal link).

I’ll read through the team finance meetings minutes tomorrow morning, but from my side I have two priorities : collect participants and questions for the meetings with Triodos and speak to Lee’s father re being a social investor.

Take care!

1 Like

Hello @alberto , looks good ! As mentioned yesterday, I went through the HoGent study from 2017 and noted down a few more advantages / disadvantages for Cooperatives and Copropriétés. Note that the study does not talk about mixed forms or foundations. The doc is saved here. I didn’t want to change your presentation and also I’m not sure all points are equally important so up to you how you want to use it :wink:

2 Likes

@alberto @RichardB I found an easy way to translate the doc into English, its here (internal link).

2 Likes

you are a magician, @VickyVanEyck , thank you!

I really like this presentation @alberto . Maybe it seems obvious, but i am sure it will clarify quite a few things for many reeflings and help to make a decision.

2 Likes

Thanks Ugne, very useful indeed.

Thanks a lot @VickyVanEyck. Would you be willing to save a copy in our “books and manuals” folder (Nextcloud > Learning, training, knowledge something")? This way we’ll be able to retrieve it also later on. Thanks!

Agreed.

Following up on this: as I thing I told you informally after the meeting with Mark, I think the proposal needs some more work. I would personally present it with a different sequence:

1. why is it important? (It could lead to recriminations, accusations of unfairness and generally bad blood; plus, it is potentially a tool for financial inclusion.)
  2. What is its purpose? (Reduce the temptation for arbitrage, and therefore speculation; if arbitrage it must be, then let it favour the less privileged).
  3. What is the difficulty? (There is no actual market to estimate the market price of units in The Reef, so we must estimate the price differentials between). units.)
  4. How is it done? (Brutopia’s example. In the end the solution is a complicated formula with coefficients for the various hedonic variables like floor, facing south etc.)
  5. What is our recommendation?

Team coordination insists on proposals being reviewed. I am trying to review here, but even better would be for someone from another team to review, though I predict it is going to be hard to find reviewers.

Hello @alberto, sorry , I did not understand from our conversation that there’s still substantial work to be done, however I have now restructured and included most of your suggestions, please have a look and let me know.

Again apologies, I was not aware of the peer review process. I will look for peer reviews from outside our team, however given we’re also discussing content, I’m fine to postpone the proposal for the next plenary meeting on 22nd of Feb.

I disagree here, as I do not think that the price differential is a good means to disengange from arbitrage. I would argue the contrary: The higher the price differential, the lower the price for the cheap units will turn out, which is an open invitation to arbitrageurs. If we want to take measures against arbitrage, which I think is a very good idea, then we should probably think of how we can potentially enforce a sale moratorium of X years over the units after construction…

2 Likes

None needed! It came up at the latest coordination meetings. The idea is to “harden” as much as possible proposals to save time. I am personally skeptical that the review process can really be a solution.

Indeed. But the reverse is also true. Thing is, The Reef does not have an actual market price, because we dont sell it. What it does have is a construction cost; and, since concrete costs the same at the first and fifth floor, each square meter in The Reef costs just as much as any other. Some groups decide to not have any price differential at all, and that creates a margin for arbitrage in favor of the people who get the best spots.

I don’t think that will be necessary. You struggle for years, finally you move in, you are not going to move unless there is some dramatic life change… but, indeed, good to consider the angle.

It’s a great idea, but sadly it’s not allowed legally. Once we have a notary though, we can work with him/her to talk about clauses like "Reeflings will be offered the opportunity to buy first (“voorkooprecht” I don’t know the legal term in English), or maybe even a process that gives Reeflings a thorough say into who will be the buyer. Experienced notaries have this kind of options on their shelves.

Noted, thanks. It’s basically similar stuff. I think we understand the issue.

hi @reef-finance
We are getting together on Wednesday, 15 February. Here is a brief agenda. Add items that you feel are missing or should be discussed.
See you on Wednesday!

1 Like

I can speak to the bit about investor profile for the inclusive units. The idea would be to propose something to the next plenary. Question is: do i make a proposal already for this Wednesday so that team finance can pre-approve?

1 Like