Obelix, Asterix, idefix or something else?

hi @reeflings

I think I am not the only one, struggling a bit with the names the architects gave to the future buildings on Jette. I don’t think they represent us, and so - before we get completely impregnated with them - I would like to ask some creative minds to propose some new names and then do a poll on the suggestions…
For those who don’t know what i am talking about. The architects refer to the biggest building on the site (along the street) as Obelix, the one in the middle as Asterix, and the one in the back as Idefix.

|

| |
|the reef 3|
|

1 Like

One of the biggest fish is the sunfish called also Mola-Mola
Fun name for medium fish is Gourami - other possibility of medium fish : Tilapia
Small fish: Guppy - other one: Blenny

Fun names of reef (no idea of size):
Tubbataha
Palancar
Mora
Sula
Yabiji

2 Likes

I would go for something easy to remember, such as whale, dolphin and just fish for the smallest one.

2 Likes

gaia, verde, haven, utopia, bastion

1 Like

A tribute to some of Brussel‘s greatest artists:
Grand Jojo
Annie Cordy
Willy Sommers

3 Likes

I’m with @MariaAM

How about “Coral” (the big building), “Concha” (Spanish for shell, for the cosy middle building) and, honouring Belgium, “Mussel” (for the smaller building in the back).

2 Likes

I like Guppy for the small one :slight_smile:

However, for now, I would like to name them ‘front, middle and back’ so that we can take our time to think about it. There could be cool names coming up during random conversations or events in the coming months so I would prefer to postpone the choice of the names.

And yes, Obelix etc is very confusing so let’s change these asap.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was thinking along the same lines and thought that we could refer to ocean species that are in risk of becoming extinct: whale, sea turtle, penguin, …?

2 Likes

In the spirit of making decisions as late as possible, I think we should go for front, middle and back. Once the buildings are up, we’ll know how to name them.

1 Like

Ahaha! Thanks for the initiative @els !

I understand the idea with leaving it to later, but I also find it a bit cold and sad to not call them something now… And the risk is that we’ll just keep calling them the same because it’s easier.

So my preference would be to choose now, and my personal selection would be Mola, Concha and Guppi. I like that it’s a bit funky and exotic!

And if we don’t want to name them properly, let’s at least abbreviate to F (front), M (middle) and B (back). Being one of the people who will have to say it most, I would quite like something quicker than “the front building and the middle building”. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As in Spanish molar, as in #[Ferrolmola]?
(https://ferrolmola.com)
:ok_hand:

Ahaha! No it’s just from one of the names SophieC said!

I agree with Sarah: if we don’t name them now, it’s unlikely that any name will stick later in the future.

I would object though to any more acronyms or abbreviations, or names that create even more confusion. The Reef is already so much to take in for people who are new, that adding more inner-knowledge risks making this even worse.

two last propositions from myself
whale - turtle - seahorse
barrier (reef )/ atoll / patch (reef)

1 Like

@reeflings
Voting time, each voter gets 3 votes (maximum)…
Deadline end of august (31/08 20:00)
In each proposition:

• the first name is the name of the big building on the street side,
  • the second name is the name of the building in the middle and
  • the third name is the name of the building in the back.
  • Mola Mola / Gourami / Guppy
  • Mola Mola / Tilapia / Blenny
  • Haven / Utopia / Bastion
  • Gaia / Verde / Haven
  • Whale / Dolphin / Fish
  • Grand Jojo / Annie Cordy / Willy Sommers
  • Coral / Concha / Mussel
  • Front / Middle / Back (temporary names)
  • Whale / Seaturtle /Penguin
  • Mola / Concha / Guppi
  • Whale / Turtle / Seahorse
  • Barrier (reef) / Atoll / Patch (reef)
0 voters
2 Likes

@reeflings : above vote is closed. The preference goes to the temporary names ‘front/middle/back’