On 5G and Digital Signatures

Join me in Aarhus at IoT Week.

https://sites.grenadine.co/sites/iot/en/aarhus-2019/schedule/3500/Discussing%20Next%20Generation%20Internet%20Technology%20and%20Policy%20Workshop

How can we ensure not making the same mistakes as with the (failed) smart city (applications), but co-create services in the vertical applications (body/health, home/energy, car/sharing, region/collective intelligence) with all stakeholders including citizens? In this workshop we want to investigate the procedure of embedding these ideas and requirements in a Digital Signature for the Infrastructure.

This has the important bonus it no longer matters who hosts the data and which platforms it runs, as the liability, accountability, procurement, GDPR and Cybersecurity Act compliance is in situational contracts (term Christian Nold), thus ensuring the new insights (fostering new services) stay well known to all stakeholders. In earlier workshops of NGI Forward WP3 the realization was made that in these 5G environments all entities (whether persons, goods, objects or situations) will be given federated and temporary identities, as in the case of an accident with the connected car in which all ‘stakeholders’ (the car, the person, the lantern pole that is hit, the water that the crashes into that is polluted…) receive temporary identities the ensemble of which becomes the ‘virtual accident’ the liability and accountability is administered on.

Currently eIDas is the digital signature for persons, GS1 is providing product codes (‘passports’) for goods and coelition.org is mapping and numbering everyday activities. In these environments AI will run in the network and robotic capabilities are built in to function semi-autonomously, the agency to name the combinations of the temporary and federated (attribute-based) identities will be vital to creating new services. Currently this agency is in the hands of GAFA and BAT.

In the case of architectures the first Salon put forward four building blocks. The first is that in an Internet of Humans , or Next Generation Internet , trust can be tokenized but only within a situation of already established trust between people, meaning there has to be a social understanding before it can be technically articulated, can we talk about communities and everyday life. The second is successful anticipatory regulation: “joint-up multidisciplinary regulation through collaboration platforms on AI that include startups, think-tanks and academia, large and medium-sized companies, governments and their ethics commissions, civil society and activists.”The third is to explore building institution like entities with the concepts of data utilities and the work of Neil Lawrence and Sylvie Delacroix who propose data trusts as a bottom-up mechanism whereby data-subjects choose to pool their data within the legal framework of the Trust. The fourth is to include potential third-party trust providers are seemingly neutral organizations that have a large member base organized around for example mobility (in the Netherlands the ANWB has a membership of 4.446.528 (1-1-2017). In January 2018, for example, the various accounts of FC Barcelona surpassed 180 million engagements worldwide. One could also consider alumni groups of different schools.

1 Like

Interesting! I think that I cannot make it to the workshop. What you describe sounds advanced and thought through but I wonder - is it easy for the user? :slight_smile: Have you also looked at the MyData-framework? https://mydata.org/

Not in detail yet, but I will. I was put in touch with one of the people behind it and will have a conversation soon. It is part of the picture.

@zelf, are you around then?

@pbihr?

I know Peter well, Thingscon and Council are good friends.

2 Likes

This looks amazing! Alas I won’t be able to make June 17th (my partner is traveling and I’ll have the 18 month old)… very much looking forward to following along remotely, though!

Hi Peter, nice to meet you here! I will be in touch in mail soon on setting up something together possibly in Berlin. Will keep you updated with notes on the June sessions at IoT Week! Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting this piece. I had a quick follow up re: situational contracts. Can you give me a bit more context as to what those are and do? I peeked around the Internet a bit but could not find much and am interested to learn more.

Kind regards,

Corinne

1 Like