About our events
A process of online activities to accelerate offline impact.
We don’t yet have a name for the unique interactive event format which which we have been experimenting and refining since 2011.
- This format is a process: it requires commitment from participants to go through a number of steps with one another.
- The steps involve active listening and giving thoughtful responses to help move the thinking and learning forward.
- The conversations are not for debating opinions. Nor do we speak on behalf of others.
- We depart from participant’s first hand accounts of their attempts to solve issues for the world around them and navigate the personal challenges of trying to do this work. We listen to one another’s accounts, ask and share thoughtful responses. These help us to see the nuances of our respective experiences and the contexts within which they take place.
- We use open source technology to go through the huge volumes of rich information we shared in the form of documentation from conversations we are having. To make visible connections different people have made in different conversations. Between different topics, places, people, projects concepts, solutions and struggles.
- We put all of this together into a series of visualisations that show us what patterns emerge when you put all of this together. The territory of a green future that could be emerging from our actions taken as a whole.
- We can see who else is already out there building foundations for recovery and regeneration.
- We can co-create the blueprints for collectively building on the progress they have made by sharing information, skills and resources.
- We can build new paths for mutual aid between different people, places, struggles and solutions.
- Every time a new path is build, the network of roads grows denser.
- Everytime this happens, we create more ways in which people can access what they need to build good lives in harmony with one another, wherever and whenever it is needed.
- The events are how we accelerate the process by making it visible and accessible to more people.
Process, Outputs & Outcomes
|Good People||Conversation||Articles||Clusters of local actors that together try out new ideas to secure resilient livelihoods for their communities and themselves. Each cluster is composed of individuals, groups and organisations with deep ties to a place.|
|Interesting stories||Sensemaking||New Projects||**How is a cluster different from a network?** In a network, participants look for how to make the most of what others are doing. In a cluster, participants are willing to re-orient their work, so as to better work with the other participants.|
|Experience-based knowledge||New perspectives & ideas||Unlikely Alliances||If you are a construction company, you must not be lazy, and be open to using new technologies. If you are a social cooperative, you must look away from providing standardized services to customizing what you do in order to better valorize the capabilities of the people they are assisting. And so on.|
What participants do: 2hrs
The process with require 2 hrs of your time in total , spread out over a 3 week period:
- Fill in registration form ( 5 mins)
- Participate in the video chat ( 1.10 hr)
- Leave comments on the forum sharing your thoughts ( 35 min)
Optional (+ 1. 5 hr): If you want to be involved in new opportunities for working and fundraising together with others - you can come to the follow up call to explore ideas for collaboration born out of the process + do some follow up work
What the Edgeryders team does
- Setup the online discussion platform & tools
- Train Organisers to use the platform and the methodology
- Moderate the online event (video chat)
- Follow up discussions ( ER team publishes documentation + listening session participants leave comments)
- Analyse of conversations ( ER team use open source technology to produce visualisations)
- Produce of articles containing summary of insights from conversations ( ER team produces draft for participants to comment/edit before publishing)
- Prepare & share First Draft of Concept Notes for possible joint initiatives wih participants in workspace accessible only to participants who participated in previous steps to ensure alignment)
- Fundraiser identifies possible sources of financing
- Coordinates follow up sessions to develop ideas for new joint projects + fundraising campaigns
This unique event format requires specialised technology & methodology
We could not find what we needed, so we had to build our own technology. Other organisations now use them to run productive and enjoyable online events that yield high return on the investment of time and resources of everyone involved.
A toolkit to transform events into collective intelligence engines
- Online platform
- Custom modules for rapid website generation
- Custom modules for registration forms
- Custom Modules for data analysis
- Custom Modules for visualisation
- Custom software for coordination
- Custom software for coordination
Our toolkit is a stack of technologies that enable you to:
- Produce dynamically updated minisites around topics on the fly:
- The minisite content (but not the structure) must be editable from inside Discourse or both content and structure must be editable an deployable from the webkit GUI, using a Discourse account. The second option would however mean that a full markdown editor with live preview etc. would have to be added to the webkit, which is why I am rather against that. Let’s keep it simple, and close to Discourse, so that it can be published as a “site builder for Discourse” eventually.
- There should be a few modules that take in YAML content (as a link to a Discourse post that contains a YAML code section) and display it in a visually enhanced way. This is needed to publish sections of the minisite in a way beyond what Markdown inside a Discourse editor is capable of. An example for that technique is here.
- Improve success of onboarding people towards the edgeryders site
- Standardise our distributed event production methodology
- Build an effective alternative to social media communication campaigns for outreach efforts
- Decentralise key community onboarding and activation tasks away from community managers to volunteers (welcome committee).
Improve visibility and communication of research findings
A dynamic online space for learning, networking, coordination and business development
Some of our clients and parts prefer to nest their online collaboration spaces within the platforms maintained by the Edgeryders organisation. Either because they don’t have in house tech support, or because they want to draw the benefits of being plugged into our friendly and supportive global community. We don’t charge anything for this, but do require everyone to agree to basic rules of conduct and respect the social contract which keeps our space healthy and generative for everyone concerned.
Features of our online collaboration platform solution:
Email slayer: Used correctly this platform will kill need for email based communication. Edgeryders is an email-free organisation thanks to this technology and easy to follow protocols for using it.
No more document version headaches: Any static document can be transformed into a dynamic, collaboratively editable one.
HR can use this to lower cost and time spent on recruiting and training new members.
Project teams can quickly generate interactive reports with links to key documents on the fly
Project teams or event organisers can generate interactive and dynamic websites for the events where curated content from conversations before and after are displayed.
For Communication campaigns, it becomes a way to crowd-source reporting and outreach efforts among its members.
Open Ethnographer add-on: Allows you to annotate content on your platform and create ethnographies of your conversation. Good for: low cost high quality and always up to date knowledgement management.
Graphryder add-on: Allows you to see SSN graphs of your conversation and an ethnography of your distributed business cluster. Good for: Finding the right people for any given challenge or task.
Training add-on: We offer community management training, as well as training for management of the forum and best practices to help them be successful.
Consulting add-on: We can take on community management, content curation, event coordination and even co-apply with our clients for research projects, grants or open calls.
- Show examples of what comes out of it: OpenCare - A better kind of contact tracing, collective autonomy Report, Digital Futures report, Stewardship Report,
- Add-on features from: https://www.discourse.org/features
- Add-on features for Graphryder & SenseStack
Registration forms that smoothly convert your audience into active contributors of high quality content
We want to make it easy for people to connect and start the conversations before, and after the event. So that your events generate consistently generate high roi for participants and for your organisation.
- Example: AI & Justice Summit - Booklet
- Demo: Invitation - Registration - articles on platform - summary post & discussion - booklet.
Always-on video chat webinar and break out meeting rooms
These are intended for things like running online events where you need breakout rooms, running team meetings or setting up a digital watercooler spaces for spontaneous chats. They are only available to people with user accounts on your online platform.
- Features: We need to ask Maria and Owen about this!
- Demo: create an edgeryders account (fill in registration form) then click here.
Add-on layers for Communication & Marketing
A message app-based alternative to the email newsletter
we have a chatbot on telegram and on whatsapp to which people send messages in response to a call for input on social media. That chatbot relays and aggregates the contents onto a platform where an editor can then put together a summary of what has been said and send it back to the people who participated. Use case is that frontline medical workers and activists are largely sharing information and coordinating via messaging apps . The problem with this is that: 1) it is not clear that the information shared is accurate 2) people are just overwhelmed with the sheer volume of info 3) there is no documentation of what has been exchanged — so no way of passing on learning in case of a new crisis 4) you do not keep track of who has contributed what - which means that you do not know who the real experts are that you could then turn to in the future for help. We have already developed some of the code to enable this: Now we need a rough sketch of a nice, simple user experience and interface/information architecture that works for people who are really short on time and super stressed. Can you give us 30 minutes of your time today? We are working here: #t_edgeryders_an1s2t4bxd
We have developed a stack of modules that enable you to quickly set up a single purpose minisite and it with relevant content .This makes it easy and inexpensive to so things like set up a website around a specific activity such as conference or crowdfunding campaign. As well as present content picked from the online forum that enables your to feature discussion threads or high quality posts with little additional work. Everything is easily updated through the platform. Examples include: http://er-campaigns.surge.sh, work.edgeryders.eu, https://youthful-brown-c96bcf.netlify.com/ and crowdfund.edgeryders.eu
Rapid Landing Page generator
We have developed a stack of modules that enable you to quickly set up a single purpose with relevant content .This makes it easy and inexpensive to so things like set up a website around a specific activity such as conference or crowdfunding campaign. As well as present content picked from the online forum that enables your to feature discussion threads or high quality posts with little additional work. Everything is easily updated through the platform. Examples include: http://er-campaigns.surge.sh, work.edgeryders.eu, https://youthful-brown-c96bcf.netlify.com/ and crowdfund.edgeryders.eu
Tiered access landing pages
Example use case: Webinars or Screen videos with password-protected livechat. This is very useful for when you want to have different levels of access. For example you may want to limit access to people who participated in the preparatory conversations or participated in a previous activity. It is also useful if you want to do crowdfunding campaigns where one of the perks is to have one’s questions featured during the webinar. Example here: https://live.edgeryders.eu/
This is the largest type of the Edgeryders events. Basically all of the LOTE conferences that we held over the years are of that format; we called them (un-)conference initially and since LOTE6, the “Open Village Festival” we call them festivals.