Open call for journalists from the Czech Republic, Poland and Serbia

Edgeryders is looking for freelance journalists from the Czech Republic, Poland, and Serbia to conduct series of interviews on topics such as safety and health as a part of our POPREBEL research project.

POPREBEL - Populist rebellion against modernity in 21st-century Eastern Europe has the aim to describe the phenomenon of populism, create a typology of its various manifestations, reconstruct trajectories of its growth and decline, investigate its causes, interpret its meanings, diagnose its consequences, and propose policy solutions.

We are looking for curious, determined, and focused journalists to join our team. As a reporter, you will conduct research, interview sources, and write engaging stories to inform, captivate, and grow our audience. Our ideal candidate is a proactive go-getter, clear communicator, and dedicated to producing unbiased stories.

Journalist Duties and Responsibilities

• Conduct series of interviews with people from non-urban/rural parts of your homeland researching their view on safety, security and health
  • Build a network of sources for interviews and develop relationships within the community
  • Take photographs, video, or audio recordings for documentation
  • Post the interviews on edgeryders.eu and support interviewees to register with an account

Journalist Requirements and Qualifications

• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, English, or related field
  • Native speaker of Czech or Polish or Serbian and good level of English
  • Able to maintain an ethical, honest, and objective standard in reporting
  • Adaptable and able to build rapport with a diverse array of people
  • Disciplined with strong time management skills; able to work to deadlines
  • Superb research and writing skills
  • Creative and inquiring mind
  • Strong interpersonal communication skills
  • Knowledge of communications media and telecommunications technology, familiar with online communication

Similar Job Titles

• Reporter
  • Correspondent
  • Staff Writer

Terms

The engagement period and remuneration will be agreed on based on mutually convened deliverables at the contract negotiation phase following this call. The reason for this is that we are aware of different skill levels, hourly rate and time constraints that candidates might have, and wish to be able to accommodate that.

How to apply

Please fill in our tell form Edgeryders Forms

3 Likes

What is your name?
Branimir Kozarov

Where are you based?
Novi Sad/Vojvodina/Serbia

Which languages do you speak?
Serbian, English

Tell us about your professional background and your experience.
I have been a TV journalist-reporter since 2012. I work for Public service of Vojvodina (www.rtv.rs), where I report mostly on politics, but also on everything that is in the public interest. I am the author of several documentaries, and I also worked on the Internet service of RTV. I have a few international certificates, including the certificate on reporting in war by Anadolu news agency.

Which of the following topics are closest to you?
Politics

Your online presence
Mladi lideri: Erion Veliaj, gradonačelnik Tirane - 23.11.2019.

Vek od proboja Solunskog fronta - sećanje na srpske heroje brže od francuske konjice - JMU Radio-televizija Vojvodine

undefined
true

3 Likes

What is your name?
Dragan Jonić

Where are you based?
Belgrade, Pirot and the Balkan Mountains, Serbia

Serbian and English. Russian to a lesser extent.

Chemical engineer by profession, translator by occupation (have been in the trade for twenty years now, I’d say I have excellent command of English) and die-hard environmental activist by vocation. Fighting against the development of run-of-river hydropower plants in vulnerable and sensitive mountainous biotopes in Serbia. Essayist and publicist in national dailies and weeklies, for years. Intermittently.

Spending much of my time in Serbian rural communities building awareness on environmental issues, polution, detrimental run-of-river small hydropower plants, environmentally harmful big-scale mining, health and safety issues. I worked hard to earn the trust of the local population, but it paid out in the end.

Health and social care

Your online presence
Some in Serbian, some in English. Don’t really believe in personal advertising.

Danas, independent national daily (in Serbian):

Web page of the informal activist group “Let’s defend the Stara Planina Rivers” (in English):

And of course, some of it on Edgeryders:

3 Likes

@inge hi, anyone in your orbits?

1 Like

What is your name?
Anna Zamejc

Where are you based?
Wroclaw, Poland

Polish (native), English (proficient), Russian (advanced), Azerbaijani (upper-intermediate), Czech (upper-intermediate), French (intermediate)

Anna Zamejc is a Polish freelance journalist with over 10 years of experience in the field. She was a 2013 Fulbright and International Peace Scholarship recipient, which allowed her to complete a Master’s degree in Peace and Justice Studies at the University of San Diego, California, where she was trained as a court mediator. Anna has worked as a correspondent with the Azerbaijani Service of Radio Free Europe and has contributed to various other media outlets. She also had a stint in one of the Middle Eastern press agencies, reporti from a hot conflict zone. Since 2014, she has been affiliated with a Czech NGO People in Need, currently holding a position of International Advocacy Officer. In 2017, she won a Tom Lantos fellowship at U.S. Congress and spent several months at the U.S. Helsinki Commission, working on the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, human rights and security in the OSCE area.
Although she specializes in the politics of South Caucasus, she’s eager to do more reporting from her native country, Poland.

Politics

Your online presence
My recent publications (2020)

New Eastern Europe (2020): “Freedom for Tofiq Yaqublu”. The price of political opposition - New Eastern Europe

Nowa Europa Wschodnia (PL) Nowa Europa Wschodnia
Visegrad Insight (2020) https://visegradinsight.eu/no-spring-in-sight-elections-azerbaijan/

Dziennik Gazeta Prawna (Polish daily): https://edgp.gazetaprawna.pl/e-wydanie/57194,10-lutego-2020/70164,Dziennik-Gazeta-Prawna/713885,Wybory-w-Azerbejdzanie:-wiosny-nie-widac.html

Policy brief (co-author/2017)
https://www.csce.gov/sites/helsinkicommission.house.gov/files/Report%20-%20Nagorno-Karabakh%20-%20Design%20FINAL_0.pdf

Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
EN Anna Zamejc - RFE/RL More By Author - RFE/RL
AZ Zamejc - AzadlıqRadiosunun müəllifi haqqında - AzadlıqRadiosu

undefined
true

5 Likes

What is your name?
Marijana Đaković

Where are you based?
Bečej, Serbia

Serbian (native), English (advanced), Hungarian (basic + ongoing language course)

I am a librarian, currently working as the cultural program manager in Public Library of Becej. By vocation, I am a philosophy professor, but I never worked as one :slight_smile: However, I did manage to use and promote the knowledge and skills I’ve obtained at the university to my everyday work with the library users, which is the reason why I also work as a librarian educator. Besides that, I was involved in politics and civic activism for many years, writing and coordinating projects, promoting policies on human rights and community issues. The last couple of years, I’m active in subjects regarding children’s safety (violence and negligence prevention and preservation of safety), by organizing and mentoring talks and round tables on the subject, between different institutions. The last project I was coordinating, which consisted of different child safety topics, was awarded the 1st prize from the municipal board in the year of 2019.

Other

Your online presence
This is Fb page of the Library I work in:

I’m also ‘‘present’’ in YouTube videos of many local medias and portals, as an interviewee and the last one is https://mojbecej.rs/za-vikend-pocinje-treca-po-redu-nedelja-dzentlmena/

undefined
true

1 Like

What is your name?
Milica Bogdanović

Where are you based?
Montenegro, Podgorica

English, Serbian-Montenegrin

A journalist with a significant professional experience in the media and non-profit sector in Montenegro, involved in numerous research and communication activities in the area of media freedom and human rights. I am currently working in Montenegro Media Institute as a researcher for EU funded project for promotion media freedom and counter disinformation and hateful propaganda in Western Balkan and Turkey.

Politics

Your online presence
https://www.linkedin.com/in/milica-bogdanovic-8a6a10b5/

undefined
true

1 Like

What is your name?
Katarina Petrovic

Where are you based?
Belgrade, Serbia

Serbian (Bosnian, Montenegrin, Croatian), English and French.

After studies in Directing and Writing for Screen and Theatre at UNITEC Auckland and graduating with a degree in Theatre Directing at the Academy of Arts in Belgrade, I obtained a Master’s degree in Multimedia Journalism at Bournemouth University (UK).

As Head of Production in VICE Serbia since its launch in 2014, I participated in establishing the production and later focused solely to the creative process of the production as Supervising Producer, overseeing all of the production’s films and strengthening the required VICE film style and format. Meanwhile I produce-directed and hosted my own documentaries broadcast on various VICE platforms.

I am a freelance director, producer, researcher and fixer.

Your online presence
All the links in the About section of my web portfolio:

Showreel 2018 Katarina Petrovic Director/Host SHOWREEL on Vimeo

undefined
true

1 Like

What is your name?
Ewa Dryjańska

Where are you based?
Warsaw/Poland

Polish, English, French, Japanese

I am a Polish freelance journalist. I am fluent in English and my native Polish. I have a PhD in political sciences (I specialize in relations between the PRC and Japan). I have experience of work as a journalist, political analyst, NGO worker, manager of a Japanese restaurant, in administrative and marketing jobs and in coordination of translations, social media.

As a journalist I specialize in interviews and especially in the topics which are in between politics, ecology and social issues.

Politics

Your online presence
Here is the link to my blog with the list of my text published online: Teksty dziennikarskie – ewadryjanska

undefined
true

2 Likes

Dear candidates,

Thank you for your applications. I’ve sent you a private message with a Doodle to schedule an online meeting!

Best luck to all,
Bojan

1 Like

What is your name?
Natálie Veselá

Where are you based?
Prague/Czech Republic

Czech (native) and Englisch (fluent)

I have been a journalist and editor for different Czech magazines and newpapers for last 20 years. I have worked a lot for content marketing magazines and life style magazines but for newspapers as well. I am a freelancer at the moment.

Other

Your online presence
Tradice a respekt. Ministryně s tetováním na bradě není jen majákem liberálů - iDNES.cz

https://www.lidovky.cz/relax/zajimavosti/cviceni-pro-nosy-poridte-si-vuni-podle-svych-predstav-je-to-docela-snadne.A200615_093335_ln-zajimavosti_ape

https://www.idnes.cz/onadnes/vztahy/angela-saini-rasismus-predsudky-veda.A200128_111653_vztahy-sex_job

https://www.marieclaire.cz/toxicka-prace-co-kdyz-se-prace-zmeni-v-horor

https://www.marieclaire.cz/prace-matek-detem-neskodi

Proč máme psa za kamaráda a prase jen za kus masa - Flowee

undefined
true

3 Likes

What is your name?
Veronika Vimmerova

Where are you based?
Prague/Czech republic

Native Czech, communication level of English (somewhere around C1)

I’ve got nearly six years of experiences in the field. I worked as a journalist in the newspapers, in the national TV (continuous news broadcast CT24). Last two and half year I led two different media projects (online and also print) for students and younger generation in one of the biggest Czech publishing house Economia. As editor-in-chief, I was in charge of creating topics, news and other textual content and podcasts. Our main topic was social phenomena in the life of our target group, as well as topics such as technology or research and science. I currently work as a freelance journalist, focusing on social issues, work, education and gender problematics. In addition, I work as a reportage and portrait photographer.

Gender, sexuality, reproductive rights

Your online presence
LinkedIn: Veronika Rollerová - Mediální konzultant & content creator - Freelance | LinkedIn
Instagram: www.instagram.com/veronikavimmerova
My website (only in Czech, sorry): www.vimmerovaveronika.com

undefined
true

2 Likes

What is your name?
Agnieszka Zielonka

Where are you based?
I live in Cisna, small town in Bieszczady Mountains, southern Poland. The region is Podkarpacie - it is often called “Polska C” because of lack of infrastructure and possibilities. It is one of the poorest region in Poland

polish, english, russian. Basic georgian and czech, if needed. :slight_smile:

By profession I am psychologist and currently I work part-time in organization which help migrants in Poland ( Fundacja Ocalenie). I am also photographer and journalist.
3 years ago I moved to Georgia, where I gained journalistic knowledge and experience, working with southcaucasian media platform - jam-news.net. One of the most important experiences from that time was to conduct on-the-field report from Abkhazia, about young people who decide to study abroad.
A year ago I’ve started cooperating with Minority Rights Group - I have finished their online course “Media, Minorities, Migration”, got small grant for project about minorities in Poland and I participated in two field trips - to Bosnia and Greece - focused on migration.
Right now I am a participant in the solution journalism workshops organized by The Local. I am also finishing my long-term photo project focused on migration “In-between”, curated by PixHouse. The outcome should be published in december.
Currently I came back to my hometown, deep in the mountains in the south of Poland. That was not my plan (I just came from Georgia for 2 weeks in mid-march, and well… COVID-19 happened :)) but I am happy where I am. I see many possibilities and needs here, and as I am local it is often easier to convince people to talk.
As a journalist I do freelance work, publishing mostly in polish media (noizz.pl/onet.pl, Miesięcznik Znak, Wysokie Obcasy, wp.pl)

Health and social care

Your online presence
My website is unfortunately under construction now, should be ready in one-two weeks. In any case, here is the adress: www.aga-zielonka.com
I have fb page: Swoją Drogą - Aga Zielonka
and instagram: @zielonka_photostories
Here are the links to some of my recent articles (in polish):

1. Women protests in Bieszczady: Strajk Kobiet W Bieszczadach, bastionie PiS-u, kobiety też walczą o swoje prawa reportaż - Noizz
  2. Fire in Moria camp: Pożar pochłonął największy europejski obóz dla uchodźców Moria na Lesbos - Noizz
  3. Coronavirus in refugee camps in Europe: Koronawirus na świecie co się dzieje w obozach dla uchodźców w Grecji i Bośni i Hercegowinie - Noizz
  4. Migrants on Balkan route: Szlak bałkański. Bez wyjścia | Miesięcznik Znak
  5. “The game” - illegal border crossing and illegal pushbacks on Balkan route: https://holistic.news/gra-o-przetrwanie-uchodzcy-kontra-reszta-swiata/

undefined
    true

2 Likes

What is your name?
Karol Wilczynski

Where are you based?
Kraków, Poland

English, Russian, Polish, German

Currently freelance journalist interested in social issues. Creator of the biggest platform on Islam in Polish - IslamistaBlog.pl. Cooperating with several Eastern European media outlets like SME, Tygodnik Powszechny, Onet.pl. In 2015-2019 I was a journalist in the biggest Catholic website in Poland, DEON.pl. Before that I was an editor in Pressje quarterly. In 2017 I visited Damascus and Aleppo. I write on religion, migration and refugees, MENA region politics and social issues in the Middle East, interfaith dialogue and social exclusion.

Other

Your online presence
www.islamistablog.pl
Redirecting...

undefined
true

2 Likes

Welcome @kmwilczynski and @aga_zielonka! Just to chime in and say that I really like your applications!

Thank you for taking the time to fill them in,