The “first real version” Open Ethnographer 1.0 is now live on edgeryders.eu. It is ready for the coding to be done by Inga. However, a few additional features will continue to appear in the coming days (magically though, not deleting any coding data – so, happy coding.)
Big thanks to @danohu for all the code contributions to this version!
Hints for using this version:
- The software is configured so that you can comment node and comment body fields, but not titles.
- Since the sidebar is not there yet, export your annotations to RQDA by clicking here.
- Merging, deleting and mass deleting of codes (or "tags", "taxonomy terms") can be done with the Taxonomy Manager. It allows you to manage everyone's codes, so be careful and look at term IDs (in the links) in case there are two codes with the same name.
- Private coding is not there yet. Your codings are visible to everyone who can use Open Ethnographer, which means a handful of people at the moment (our community managers and admins).
Features new in this version:
- Quotation manager.
- Showing others' codings with grey-ish highlighting color.
- Tags in annotations link to quotation manager pages.
- Complete rework of the data model, to make field-based for coding comments.
- Coding of comments.
- Ability to annotate different translations / language versions of the same content (#40).
- Merging taxonomy terms.
- Special multi-substring search in the tag autocomplete function (#6).
- Speeding up page load times in Firefox by factor of three, fast enough now for long threads (#46).
- RQDA export of node texts are prefixed with group names (#39).
- Annotation permalinks are exported to RQDA as coding memos.
Features that will follow some days later:
- The new sidebar (#50) with a tag manager and export button.
- RQDA exporting of comments (#45) into the same texts as nodes.
- Tag author and description (#51) and formatting fixes (#48) in the quotation manager.
May the first real-world use begin – @Inga_Popovaite and whoever else wants to use it. Since only own codes are exported to RQDA, you may all use it without tragical interferences.