Our Call on the 7th

Thursday 15:00 to 17:00 would be ideal. We probably don’t need 2 hours though, let’s aim to be done at 16:00. @IvanC, are you available to join us?

Works for me. Let’s say 15:00

Calendar invite sent! @IvanC @hugi!

1 Like

Here’s something we may want to throw in:image

While by no means a ‘how-to’ or a complete list of ‘this is what we want’, this iceberg is often useful for creating fictional worlds (and quite a few high fantasy writers I know refer to it, including Brandon Sanderson in his lectures). It’s a good look at the components that go into creating believable cultures: the top can be interpreted as the space that readers interact with in the course of a story and the bottom as the stuff that serves as the foundation (ie: worldbuilding).

Do send an invite for Thursday. I’d like to see if we can incorporate a short poll as well, to see if we can get people to click through and tell us what they most expect to see / use this for.

3 Likes

Received, thanks. I will include @alberto, @nadia and @yudhanjaya

1 Like

That’s a nice visualisation, thanks for sharing.

Half thought thought: One way in which Edgeryders as a corpus contributes to culture building in this sense is the tagging of contents in different discussion…and using the semantic social networks generated to find the “hidden” connections between them in the new world that is already in the making, but not visible yet. Could it be an enabler of contributing to the world building if we make it some kind of sentient entity @hugi? Or a machine or sorts that we have some class of archiver/ synthesist/oracle worker/historian tribes wielding as a powerbroker/ moneymaker? I’m thinking about that Italian minister who kept that archive that he then gave to the church @alberto? The one that had that cat or rabbit- remember which one?

Because there are a lot of topics that remind me of what I see in the iceberg illustration here What We Care About

2 Likes

I really like this idea. If I put my data scientist hat on, I can almost see how a knowledge graph like this might be built . . .say we assume that all language is a way of denoting concepts and the relationships between them (Russell’s thesis). Say take a symbol-set that represents most concepts in the known universe in a social graph structure (a thesaurus is a perfect pre-built example). Then say we use topic modelling (linear discriminant analysis might be the perfect x between computational cheapness, robustness and explainability) and attach topic-tags to documents, and then those tags get attached to their corresponding term from the thesaurus. I know it sounds weird, but what it turns into is knowledge graph. The libraries needed for the base functionality are in Python and R. Centrality of a topic and associated documents would be judged by how many ‘social links’ they form to other topics and documents.

Can we stick this function into the state machine and the associated field of aethnography? That we we could give aethnographers like Kosovitch high levels of access and a whole academic field there dealing in narratives from hidden connections.

1 Like

please formulate a concrete question to send people into those rooms with that you would like to be answered via writing or recordings to go on the platform.

remeber to mention publically that the call will be recorded and that the recording will start now.

Draft:

• 5 min intro
  • 10 min video
  • 10 min how we build a scifi world
  • 15 min break out room
  • 5 min invitation
  • 15 min QA

@Joriam, @hugi, @yudhanjaya, maybe just add the questions you want to be asked when into this draft and can you maybe also add potential links that you want to be shared during the call in the chat.

2 Likes

Session structure and responsibilities:

Care of @nadia:

• 5 min intro
  • 10 min video

Care of @yudhanjaya

• 10 min how we build a scifi world

Care of @Joriam

• 15 min break out room
  • 5 min invitation

Care of @MariaEuler

• 15 min QA

@hugi takes charge if things derail or need to be clarified.
@alberto is first port of call for people who want to dream up and troubleshoot fictional economies.
@MariaEuler takes care of the backend of keeping track of the chat, answering technical questions etc.

Todo:
@alberto prepares a new category and moves relevant threads into it.
@Joriam selects prompt question for breakout room.
@MariaEuler and @nadia prepare Tell form for harvesting breakout reflections.
@IvanC nd @nadia handle pre-event outreach and comms.
@MariaEuler and @nadia, in collaboration with @Joriam, @alberto and @hugi write instructions for how people can contribute with short stories, scenes, narratives, ideas, etc over the coming month.

:male_detective:

4 Likes

@Joriam when can I have video? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We premiere the video on the call right? Not before? I actually think it will be a better way to spread it. We show it to the people who attend the call first, then make the link public and ask them to share it.

Remember in your section to also credit:

• FdCM, Blivande, Climate KIC, Nordic Culture Fund Globus program

Yes I thought. we agreed this, no?

oh! I just wanted it out of curiousity and also to add subtitles

1 Like

Ah ok, it was already discussed. Must have missed it.

1 Like

Alright, video sent on the other thread, now to the question.

Ivan’s original question (“What’s your idea/suggestion for building the world?”) was my inspiration. I wanted to go for something sliiiiightly more specific, but also open enough so people could talk about it for ages. I think the specificity will help our least creative participants, guiding the imagination!

So what I’m gonna ask is: “what alternative currencies/currency-rules you think should be experimented?”

I’m gonna give a brief 1min intro about the origin or paper money, crypto, gonna mention some DAOs that operate with tradable social capital. Nothing in depth, just stimulating imagination, then we can send them to the breakout rooms and just remind them of the question as I’ve written above.

@MariaEuler here’s what you asked :smiley:

1 Like

edited, preevent out reach and comms is Ivan and nadia

2 Likes

@Joriam, didn’t you also want to ask them something about their background? Also, should I use both questions:

1. What’s your idea/suggestion for building the world?
  2. what alternative currencies/currency-rules you think should be experimented?

@hugi, @yudhanjaya do you want to add something?

In general, when I ask for the questions for the form, please be concise and definite. 1. 2. 3. Give me a list, I’ll put it in. Going back and forth with different drafts of this and clarifications always costs me tons of time. No link to a long text or direction to source the questions from, just straight up the questions please, and limited to 3, max 5 questions. (sorry, this has been a reoccurring issue, not you fault here)