Paid software development tasks for Open Ethnographer for Drupal (call closed)

Presumably!

… I should hope so :-/

Right that

We use eComma for Drupal 7, on Drupal 7.

Glad you want to join :slight_smile: You can also get a preview of what tasks will be available in the future, and register interest in some of those.

Second try: inviting Edgeryders with dev skills and connections

I am sorry for the frustrations caused by Nadia’s first set of mentions above – you were not able to access this post due to a bug that I assumed I fixed, but it had a second half …

So, again: @kei, @marc, @cjd, @igel , @guaka , @ton, @tomek, @leo, @pierpaolo, @piersoft, @elf_pavlik, @jamesL, @paolo_mainardi, @paolomainardi and others: Welcome to pick a paid development task in the Open Ethnographer project (just see the post above). And to share this opportunity with your developer friends.

And Auli!

Waah, we totally forgot to mention @auli :slight_smile:

setup notes

Couple of notes on the install process:

• be sure to check out the 7.x branch from github
  • you need to use msyql as your db; won't work with postgresql
  • eComma depends on tagadelic. I needed to downgrade to version 7.x-1.x-dev, not 7.x-2.x-dev, due to bug. That bug manifests as a 500 on the node view page (/node/nodeid). Fixed by the patch Matthias mentions below
  • On editing field settings, I get various errors like "Notice: Undefined index: instance in ecomma_form_alter() (line 351 of /home/src/eComma/ecomma.module).". I think this prevents the display of whatever setting I'm supposed to tweak in step 7 of the ecomma instructions, "Enable ecomma commentary features for that text area field in the settings". Workaround was to manually enable eComma for a field in the database: "insert into ecom_ecomma_field_enabled (field_name, content_type_name, ecomma_enabled) values (''your_field_name", "your_content_type", TRUE);"
1 Like

Thanks! Also there are some other notes that could help you

Thanks for the notes, will surely help us in the process. You might want to integrate them into the upcoming Open Ethnographer manual. It already contains some hints from me re. installing a certain patch. Maybe that fixes one of your remaining issues?

1 Like

In our manual now!

I’ve integrated your and eComma’s “official” setup notes into the Open Ethnographer manual now.

Still figuring out how to get eComma integrated into the Edgeryders website, with Panelizer and all, but I’m nearly there …

(2) and (9)

Tasks 2 and 9 seem to be alternative ways of solving the same problem. i.e. we only need one of them.

[also, the problem is limited…tags are not lost when the content changes, just misaligned]

True … let’s use the random word IDs then

True, the “(9) Implement that tagging refers to a revision.” would be just a poor surrogate for the same purpose as quasi-random word IDs. So let’s drop that point. What’s inferior about referring to revisions plus numeric word ranges is that after an edit, codings / taggings cannot be shown correctly in the latest version any more. But the latest version will be shown to website visitors by default, so they wouldn’t see any codings in edited content then. Which would be really unfortunate, as a great benefit of Open Ethnographer is its effortless side effect of giving semantic web integration (rendering tags as RDFa into posts …), semantic in-site search abilities etc…

One could dream up a mechanism to translate a mechanism to dream up translating old numeric word ranges when a new revision is created, but I guess the word IDs are a cleaner way then. Even though they create more messy HTML. (You’re welcome to disagree of course, and the software design is not set in stone so far.)

(18) would be good for a newcomer

18 is pretty straightforward. Let’s keep it as a good first task for anybody new who wants to join in.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Pedro Dias, I have some experience in PHP, Mysql development, I have worked in some scripts like Joomla, Wordpress, Opencart and osCommerce. I feel a bit lost on how to collaborate with you on developing some of the tasks, if you want to give me some indications maybe I could be of some use :slight_smile: I have no experience in Drupal, for what I read is a CMS/Blog and you are working on a plugin eComma that is a module for collaborative annotation. I have heard of this project edgeryders, from a common friend and I find it a very interesting project

1 Like

Welcome Pedro

Hello Pedro, welcome to Edgeryders. @matthias would be the person to ask specifics: I can only confirm that Drupal is indeed an open source CMS based on PHP and MySQL. It is a huge project, with million of websites running it and tens of thousands of committers.

i see that @danohu, also working on this project, suggested Task 18 above as suitable for a newcomer. I suggest you read it, then if it looks good follow the instructions to assign it to yourself and execute it. How does that sound?

1 Like

Hi, Pedro.

To add to what @alberto said…we have instructions on how to set up drupal and eComma here.

If you follow those instructions, you’ll end up creating a content type in Drupal that has a tagging interface attached to it. Task 18 is about hiding extra whitespace at the bottom of that content type.

1 Like

More indications

Hello Pedro, and welcome from me too :slight_smile: With PHP / MySQL experience you can definitely join here! Drupal itself can be a bit daunting compared to less complex systems like WordPress, but not all tasks require extensive Drupal experience. I have filtered out those tasks for you that require no or only limited, specific Drupal knowledge. Means, things you can do after learning half an hour about the Drupal concepts involved, if any:

• 5. Exchange the markup creation JavaScript code with Annotator.
  • 6. Implement exporting of selected codings to a CATMA file.
  • 15. Improve the CKEditor styles to improve content creation for study participants.
  • 16. Fix cut&paste changes to formatting inside CKEditor.
  • 17. Improve the look of content created by study participants by limiting their use of HTML.
  • 18. Prevent empty lines at the end of content.
  • 20. Implement live-syncing selected codings with a certain account at a CAQDAS software.

(Only numbers and titles, look up details in the original post above). I would propose you start by installing a “vanilla” Drupal system on your computer, then take on one of the tasks not related to eComma (15-18), and after that proceed by installing eComma, learning some more Drupal and doing other tasks. If you get stuck, we offer to help out via pair programming. Let us know how you want to proceed :slight_smile:

Thank you all

I will install the Drupal and the components I need in my virtual machine this weekend and give it a try, with the software installed I will get a better perspective of what and how to do it

1 Like

Better instructions

Hello @pedro_dias, if you want to have a look at the software and what tasks you might be interested in, we have now better installation instructions. Some features are nearly finished but not yet integrated into the master branch’s code, but you can have a look by checking out open pull requests.

CATMA and code hierarchies

The answer to (4) seems to be yes, CATMA does include code management / hierarchy building features.

You can use the CATMA Tag Manager to easily create Tagsets that contain Tags and Subtags of your own choice, suitable for your purposes. This enables you to create complex hierarchical Tagsets that allow for the application of extensive multilayer analytic categories to the text. It is also possible to assign Properties to Tags, which provides a different manner of structuring the Tags than the one offered by Subtags (i.e. horizontally instead of vertically or hierarchically).

1 Like

Good news!

Thanks for taking a look, Dan. For potentially later doing live-syncing to CATMA, we would also needd if code hierarchies can be managed independently of the codings themselves. Finding it out can wait until if and when we get to the live syncing part. From the data structures (just looking at the CATMA example files that you found), it seems possible. Code hierarchy and codings are in the same document_user.xml file (so we’d need to figure out partial imports), but at least it’s possible to refer to existing tags by ID, so no need to re-import them every time which would replace a hierarchy built inside CATMA.

All fine on this front, so far. I’ll now make your “CATMA export” post the task for the (basic) export job, add some discussion points, and yes, welcome to work that :slight_smile:

Off topic

Oh, ok. @pedro_dias now I’m not your nephew anymore? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Welcome to Edgeryders! I long awaited this moment :slight_smile: ( in silence )

@all: Big hug to everyone!

1 Like

You are :slight_smile:

I am your proud Uncle and friend hehehe

2 Likes