Planetary Futures of Health and Wellbeing conference 2022

We have been invited by Nick from Turku University, a long time partner through CKIC’s Long-termism alliance, to participate to the Planetary Futures of Health and Wellbeing conference organised by the Finland Futures Research Centre. It is “one of the top futures studies annual conferences”.

Dates: 15–17 June 2022 in Turku, Finland and online.

This year their UNESCO Chair on Learning for Transformation and Planetary Futures has strongly influenced the topic, along with an ongoing internal project about promoting active mobility in urban spaces to support public health benefits and sustainability targets.

There is a call for papers but we received it a bit too late, perhaps - the deadline is Monday, 31 January. It is also a bit too far fetched for what we are doing, but naturally Witness comes to mind. Also @alberto, @matteo_uguzzoni - could this be a good place to play with COESO while working on it ?

The call for papers is introduced like this:

Earth’s systems are undergoing drastic transformations due to climate change, biodiversity loss, pollution and other human-caused environmental pressures. These changes are expected to introduce profound challenges for people and the rest of Earth’s life over the coming decades as various planetary system limits are crossed. Futures conference 2022 focuses on the wide variety of ways people imagine planetary futures to inform their ambitions to produce general health and wellbeing in our societies.

This conference explores questions such as: How can people today identify new pathways for fostering the conditions and behaviours that allow human and non-human life to thrive? How can health and wellbeing for humans and other species be supported at planetary scale? What structures and actions are needed to produce a sufficient level of human wellbeing at the global level to improve our socio-ecological resilience?’

2 Likes

I am one step ahead of you, for once. I wrote to Nick, and he replies that he thinks Witness is totally in scope. Writing a 400 words abstract is trivial, so we apply just for the hell of it.

1 Like

We can go with the Prague one :slight_smile:

Good idea. Where is it? And why are you guys not in the Witness call?

1 Like

WWNA 2021 Abstract for future reference

Submitted. I am the corresponding author: co-authors are @nadia, @ivan and Vello Pettai from U Tartu. If we get accepted, we will see who delivers the presentation, and we may even decide to add co-authors when it comes to writing the actual paper. I am thinking of @matteo_uguzzoni and @yudhanjaya, if they are interested.

Abstract here.

1 Like

Yudha would be good as then maybe the visa issue could be solved? :slight_smile:

Well, no point more than one person going to Tartu. But that paper could be a chance to reflect on this thing.

Update on this: we did submit the abstract for a talk and got accepted. Authors: @ivan, @nadia, @matteo_uguzzoni, Vello Pettai from Tartu University and myself. The presentation was delivered, by me, earlier today.

The abstract and slide deck (with presenter notes) are here: https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6651313. I also recorded it as a video.

2 Likes

Good job. Is there some follow-up, what resulted of this?