Play to learn: the play city model for community-based learning spaces for junior citizens

Everything is on our website http://minimedina.wordpress.com For questions email us at mini.medina.egypt@gmail.com

Date: 2014-06-23 20:00:00 - 2014-06-26 20:00:00, Asia/Tbilisi Time.

URL: http://minimedina.wordpress.com

Is this for Futurespotters?

Uli should I put it down as a session?

1 Like

Yes, this is what I thought why I added it here :slight_smile:

My notes about the session

Not sure this is the right place for them, and they are very rough notes, but here they are:

Ulli’s Background as bank clerk, worked at ISEC, aiming to develop leadership and management skills, then worked on Pioneers of change (group of former ISEC graduates) aiming to learn to ask relevant questions as a tool to learn and understand better.

Following then to Art of hosting, a group of practitioners interested in how people learn and especially how children learn.

Other projects:

-The learning village, Maribor, one week event in a Slovenian castle, to find answers to doubts of families interested in the challenges of “alternative education” (this end of August).

• Mini Medina, children come together and can create their own city, role playing everything that is needed to run it. (Lord of Flies? Supervision by adults)

How did we get here.

@Alessandro Mambelli

Kim Robinson TED talk and The Element book

Positive Psychology - flow

Interesting experience in "alternative (disruptive?) Education at Tumo center in Yerevan

@Anna Kamay

Disabled people educational work was inspiring

Interested in giving her daughter, and not only, an opportunity to learn freely and develop her potential

…didn’t catch her name?

Journalist and teacher working with autistic children

developing interesting deductive models to approach learning

Learn the skills to contribute to society. Active citizenship is all about this.

Tools currently in use: 24h Education Hackathon

Examples of existing models: democratic schools (Open Space approach: barcamp and edgeryders kind of message-board oriented schedule for conferences)

Big question: how can you maintain a minimal structure of educational curriculum your children will need? Look through evolution of education and see what worked in history

A strong example of how learning can be effective: Curiosity -> Challenge -> Learning: loop. And take ownership of your own learning.

Challenge: we needd spaces needed to express you curiosity and experience new ways, unlearning what is being wired into your brain by traditional education.

Question-method: Take this approach into schooling to acquire a sense of responsibility. Fear of failure and not knowing stops the exploration and asking stimulative questions.

Top down approach? How about “chaordic”! A balance between chaos and order

Student feel respected for taking charge of their learning process. learn the value of indepency.

* Reggio Emilia approach (and Montessori), environment for student groups to express themselves

* Open space principle

* Caro Dweck, “inspire me and terrifies me”

We need Educators, not teacher. Selection process to understand who has the right mentality for this.

Get the students to document their own learning processed, collect memories that can help up bring up the stories at a later stage to crystallise and help delivering the knowledge.

Also mentioned

Coder Dojo - sort of Code Academy for kids.

Kids can teach themselves - Computer in a hole project in India

1 Like

Hello Alberto and Alessandro,

Thank you!!! I do have some comments and edits to make. Will do in final version, pls let me know where I’ll find that one, thank you!

very warm greetings from Cairo :slight_smile:

Uli

it’s ready

Hi @Ulrike von Ruecker, the wiki is here ready for you

Good work!

Thanks @Alessandro Mambelli, great work. Can you copy this and paste it into a wiki into the Futurespotters Aftermath group? This way others can integrate your excellent writeup with their own bits and pieces of information (in my case, about Coderdojo).

Done it @Alberto.

I also tried to put my notes for @Ben Vickers’ session, but it got lost!

I saved here, but it doesn’t show up. @Matthias, is it lost completely? I only have rough notes, I didn’t save before submitting… lesson learned from next time at least, but still, it would be nice to know it’s just a glitch and the content is lingering somewhere.

No comment found :frowning:

I looked through the admin backend’s comment list, and unfortunately there are only four comments from you today; the three for this post, and this one. So not including any unMonastery session notes :frowning: I also looked for potentially unpublished comments.

This is quite puzzling, as such a problem has never occured to me … the only way I can imagine this to happen is if you had the comment form open in a tab, but logged out in between using a different browser tab. Then the login authorization cookie would not be valid, and the comment text would not be saved but vanish in some kind of nirvana … . But as you said, it’s safest to save before posting, or at least to copy the text into the clipboard before posting.

daym…

Oh well, it’s sad but nothing to do about it now.

I don’t know if something happened at login level with multiple instances of chrome (with different users though…)

Okay, maybe I could try to reproduce what happened. But anyway I’ll make sure to press ctrl+a and ctrl+c before clicking on save :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the information. My concern is also with the log in issue as it is not working in my chrome. Especially after re installation of the windows system it is showing the issue. Thanks in advance for any kind of help or support.
Regards
EduHelpHub