POPREBEL Ethnography Code Review Thread

I am available, and in favour of meeting.

1 Like

@Nica Are you going to be joining us?

Hi all, mainly ethnographers (@Maniamana, @jitka.kralova and @Djan), who are creating new temporary users to upload the interviews to the platform. I do not know why, but the guerrillamail.com is not working therefore I started to use an other provider with a name that I can remember (and find quite funny) - dispostable.com. Works just fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

I just wanted to let you all know that I have recoded all the “new X category” codes in the “Problems re-coded” spreadsheet. However, there are some codes that still need to be (1) inspected, (2) forked, and/or (3) created/deleted. Thus, I will leave what each color in the spreadsheet means and what we will be doing with them. But again, the majority of them have already been properly created and corrected!

I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help anyone in the project with. Thanks again and I will see you all in tomorrows meeting.

COLOR CODES:

• YELLOW BOXES IN “NEW Y CATEGORY” → The yellow boxes mean that the codes in that category have already been reviewed by SantosCardonaPR.

• BOLD BLACK FONT CODES IN “OLD X CATEGORY” → The bold colds mean that the codes have been properly corrected to the “new x category” codes. These codes are finished!

• BLUE FONT CODES IN “OLD X CATEGORY” → The codes that are with blue font are the codes me and Wojt are still working on. These codes still need to be inspected or forked.

• GREEN ITALIC COMMENTS IN THE “NEW Y CATEGORY” COLUMNS → These are comments I wrote for Wojt to review before I properly correct the code. We are still working on those codes.

• GREEN BOXES IN “NEW Y CATEGORY” → Boxes that do not have any codes, but the box was still created.

Best,
Santos

2 Likes

Hi guys,
anybody else’s going to join?

Guess not, unless you need me. My homework is done: Analysis by gender: need data

Hello @rebelethno, I see that, starting from this Friday, there is no more link for our weekly meeting. I assume this is a mistake. I created a new one here:

4 Likes

Hi, y’all!
I hope you’re all well.
You know I hardly ever skip our meetings, and I wanted to attend the one today, I really did, but Polskie Koleje Państwowe came and told me not to. They delayed my train and, in essence, deprived me of a stable internet connection. By Sunday evening I’ll have finished coding and cleaning up all the 21 Polish interviews that have been uploaded onto the platform so far. If you need me, just write me a message. I will be available in the evening CET.

2 Likes

Hi @rebelethno, greetings from the CZech team! :slight_smile:

also wanted to apologize but I won’t be able to make it to tomorrows call. I’m on a cycling trip with my family. @Nica i should hopefully be able to send you the homework by Monday, latest Tuesday.

5 Likes

Team Deutschland is meeting IRL on Monday! Unless Djan is camera-shy, we’ll add a selfie to the platform, too. :slight_smile:

I will try to make today’s meeting but I have a Humboldt meeting the hour before and they don’t always finish within an hour. To update: I’ve finished the codebook additions and definitions for the new German codes and will turn my attention to the homework over the weekend.

3 Likes

Team Poland’s face-to-face meeting won’t be that easy to achieve, I am afraid :frowning:
I will skip today’s meeting, so I will share an update on current developments: There are currently 34 uploaded interviews to the platform, and several more will be added today. In the upcoming days, I and @Wojt are going to be coding them, and waiting for the rest of the material to be transcribed:) Another setback and delay are due to my health problems, caused by excessive stress of Phd+ life and living with small children, whom I love dearly but who are little germ spreaders too.
Please message me if there is anything I need to know.

Hey everyone! Wojciech and I are in the call (the link Alberto circulated). We are all alone and very lonely :slight_smile:

1 Like

now it’s three of us! Is anyone else joining?

1 Like

Sorry, I was late… but now you have left. Anyway, I am available, if you need anything, @Nica and all.

Sorry, my meeting yesterday went on and on.

Can someone remind me how to get into the back end, so that I can add my definitions of the new German codes? (It’s been a while since I did that!) Also, can someone show me how to view all the snippets of text that have been assigned a particular code?

Danke/Grazie/Dziękuję/Dík

At the beginning of any topic, you will see a link for “Coding view”. That gives you access to OpenEthno. Alternatively, you can bookmark direct links, liike https://edgeryders.eu/annotator/codes.

Choose your code from the Codes page, then click on Annotations: example.

1 Like

@Nica Sorry I’m late with the homework but the analysis of the German interviews is taking me down a new path. A number of the interviewees have criticised the German COVID measures because they turned friends, neighbours and even family members against each other (vaccinated v. unvaccinated), which has undermined the home and family as a space free from outside political influence. This chimes with the idea of the home/family during communist times as “a kind of protective refuge” (Paul Betts) against the Stasi and Communist Party. Their response is then to emulate the 1989 Leipzig demonstrations (which brought down the communist government) and organise mass anti-lockdown/anti-government protests in the big East German cities of Dresden, Leipzig and Berlin. So, I’ve been reading the academic literature about public and private in communist societies, which has slowed me down with the homework. But this should make for a more interesting write-up in the end.

5 Likes

Thank you Richard! That sounds great, very interesting direction, I look forward to seeing what comes out of it. Do you feel like this requires an adjustment to the provisional table of contents/roadmap for the final report?

Re homework, can you please also let me know when you would be able to send it to me, so I can adjust the date in the calendar?

I’ll aim for this Friday!

sounds very interesting Richard. Looking forward to what comes out of it and the bibliography!

2 Likes