POPREBEL Ethnography Code Review Thread

What time are we meeting today?

We planned for 15 CET/14 GMT

1 Like

We can use my Zoom today:

Hi @alberto, it’s Jitka here, I am the new Czech ethnographer. During our first meeting, @Jirka_Kocian and @SZdenek mentioned you might be able to generate a visualisation of the key Czech topics (codes?) collected over the past months. Do you think I could ask you to send them to me, whenever you have some free time? Thank you (I hope this makes sense:)

2 Likes

Nice to meet you @jitka.kralova, welcome. On it.

Hello Jitka, so your visualizations are ready.

This is the whole of the Czech forum. Nodes represent codes. Edges represent co-occurrence between two codes. Redder edges mean more co-occurrences the two codes connected by the edge appear more often together: minimum is 2, maximum is 44. I excluded edges that represent one single co-occurrence, because that simplifies the graph a lot while still preserving recurring co-occurrences, which are likely to encode inter-subjectivity.

Larger nodes means more occurrences: the code appears more often. Minimum is 2, maximum is 146. The graph has 273 nodes and 1,274 edges.

Below you find a more reduced version. In this case, I have only included the edges that encode co-occurrences made by at least two different participants on the forum. The purpose of this is to exclude associations between codes that are only validated by one single participant in the forum. This graph has 93 nodes and 231 edges.

But honestly I do not know what you can do with static visualizations. In order to explore it, you will need to download the file, called a Tulip perspective. I put it on our GitHub here: https://github.com/edgeryders/network-viz-for-ssna/blob/master/code/special%20cases/poprebel_cz_forum.tlpx. But, in order to open it, you will need to install Tulip – get it here.

That can be a bit daunting, depending on your background and how comfortable you are with datasci/compsci. Happy to help, just let me know if you need a one-on-one session.

1 Like

Thank you so much Alberto. Only just saw this. :slight_smile:

@rebelethno, we have some awesome new OE updates thanks to @matthias:

1. You can now sort by number of annotations (so we can see the codes that occur most frequently at the top!)

2. On the side of any post, you can now see what codes were used to code that post.

3. The bulk editing mode is now possible in tandem with the search function, and is visible now immediately in the tree view.

A present for @Wojt :wink:

1 Like

noice:)

Great news!

Dear All: our meeting today (March 26, Friday):
Jan Kubik is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: POPREBEL coding
Time: Mar 26, 2021 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

Join by SIP
92424676142@zoomcrc.com

Meeting ID: 924 2467 6142
Password: 124586
One tap mobile
+13126266799,92424676142# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,92424676142# US (New York)

@rebelethno

@Wojt

Hello @amelia and the recruiters for the @rebelethno fora,

shouldn’t we unite the introductory pages of the Wellbeing in Czechia/Germany/Poland? They are still very different and not really up to date regarding our current approach to recruiting informants/participants of the fora.

If may answer you, Zdenek, on behalf of the rest of the team, we for now decided to switch to collecting data in more classically ethnographic way, in the future probably getting back to the platform to invite our interviewees to discuss various topics with each other, and than we might hire community managers, but I don’t think recruiters will be used at all. And therefore that’s why there is no talk on adjusting the introductory pages, and this will probably wait till late spring/early summer (guessing here).

If you guys remember @rebelethno, I raised this issue and asked each language team to come up with what they wanted their intro page to look like and report back so we could make the changes. It was an agenda item the meeting before last. So if you want something to be different, please make the call in your language team (or let’s put it on the agenda again to discuss it at the next biweekly and make changes collectively). As @Maniamana said, it seemed everyone had wanted to wait for some data collection to make that call, but we can revisit it if people feel ready to rework those intros!

@amelia @rebelethno - we had a great, exciting meeting today. I will compose a report that will be edited and then used by all of us in the next few steps. We decided that we need to make several decisions (I will present the issues in the brief) to focus our work more. We are gaining tremendously from the ethnographers’ work but Jitka and Mania (Djan was not able to join us) both argued convincingly for the “re-focusing correction.”

3 Likes

@rebelethno Dears, I apologize for my silence. A huge tree fell on the power and internet lines (just missed our car) and I lost connection until yesterday. I will post a note that is already prepared … somewhere. What is the best place to create a Google Doc that can be edited by all of us? A UCL site?

I think the general Google Docs site (https://docs.google.com/) would work, nie?

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AqmP5sM1wPzHVi7vF6HT1LnL3gq9XGcjKkh0Px1Vk_c/edit?usp=sharing

Hey everybody: please let me know if the link works and remember to use “suggesting” function if you are editing what I have written, so we can all see how the document evolves. If you are adding at the bottom, use “editing” function, and add your initials, so we know who is doing what.

1 Like