Tell us what you are doing to get openvillage tickets, fellowships and more!
"Reagent is a term used in chemistry to describe a process in which one determines a presence of a substance by sparking a chemical reaction with it."
Edgeryder member Winnie Poncelet is working at Reagent Lab, an open space designed to spark interest in the sciences, and doing so by the intersection of biology and open source technology.
Reagent aims to replace outdated methods of teaching biology with a renewed focus on developing sustainable solutions for the future using accessible and open scientific methods and technology.
Reagent offers paid and free programs, with the former as well as memberships used to sponsor free applicants coming from underprivileged backgrounds.
"Places like ReaGent spark creativity in sciences by working in an accessible, open and flexible manner. Their mission now is to give access to this type of education to the whole of Flanders, and extend their network by inviting for example designers to come and create biodegradable materials."
Reagent is currently working on the Open Insulin project, a collective open source project to research less expensive ways of making insulin, which you can read more about here. You can follow all their other projects at reagentlab.org
OpenVillage Festival (Oct 19th - 21st)
As part of our preparations for the OpenVillage Festival we are discovering how under-the-radar projects could be better supported in an ecosystem.
By October 19th to the 21st we aim to:
- Engage existing initiatives in telling about the practical challenges they are facing
- Validate them through open discussion, both online and offline, to understand the full scope of how alternative care systems are coping with the needs of citizens living the very effects of bad climates or policies
- Demonstrate / Exhibit projects and concepts in a format immediately useful to practitioners, economists, policymakers and any interested parties working on similar grounds.
How you can contribute
- Explore the stories that others have shared and leave thoughtful comments.
- Tell us about your own care-related experiences and projects. Where are some things you have tried to do in the past, what are you doing now.
- Build a proposal for a demo session / exhibition at OpenVillage. You will deliver a practical, hands-on showcase of a project connected to migrant care. Tell us what support do you need to make it happen
- Open a new document and write down what you are doing or have learned. Don’t worry about getting it “right” in any way - this is a no judgement space. When ready, login to edgeryders.eu and upload your contribution through the “add my story” button.
Good For You
When you post you will get a ticket to OpenVillage: Meet the OpenCarers. When you post you become eligible for the Open Fellowship.
Good For Everyone
Your input goes into the OpenCare research project - the findings are shared in the form of a report which we hope will be useful for everyone interested in care for the 21st century.