Report on Resilience Session: Resilient Health through Networks

Thanks, Noemi! Mind if I think out loud then summarise?

Ok, so - worst case scenarios. I come from the flubie world: folks who were alerted by the World Health Organisation and more directly by a bunch of bloggers who wrote from a deep knowledge of epidemics and also from a condition of anonymity, which allowed them to truly speak their minds when those in official positions couldn’t. I’m thinking about the revere(s), one or more bloggers under one pen name, expert(s) in some aspects related to flu science, who wrote extensively about flu preparedness. A small but ilustrative sample - oddly appropriate to our subject, given that I just googled for “revere pandemic flu” - is here: Pandemic flu preparation: small steps in the right direction | ScienceBlogs

Gathering some good concepts from that era, I think of a few, and I can then expand: “staff and stuff”, “three family tribes”, “citizen manual”, “supply chain fragility”, “the role of the county”, “discovering real needs” … and maybe a few other concepts.

Sorry if this gets messy - unpacking long-time-packed concepts here - but then I can summarise and we can think more clearly about where we go next. Thanks!

“Staff and stuff” is what it says. In a crisis, for health care, you need to have people who can treat patients, and those people (health-care workers or family members or patients themselves, collectively called “staff”) need devices and supplies (a machine to analyse sugar in the blood, and also the reactants). In a bad pandemic flu scenario, both might be missing: healthcare workers may be “hit” (ill or taking care of their own families or frightened to go out), and supplies might be stuck somewhere along the supply chain because the truck drivers are “hit” too. (These problems go from 0% to 100% depending on the severity of the pandemic. At a certain point there are systemic effects added on: I could go to work but the bus driver is “hit”, therefore I’m “secondarily hit”.)

Now, what happens in a financial collapse (aka collapsonomics) scenario?

• Buildings and devices stay. Lack of maintenance is an issue later, not at the beginning. (Repairing needs supplies so it’s a supply issue, see later.)

• People (and their knowledge of science and each other) stay, at least at the beginning and in most instances. Some doctors (health-care workers in general, let’s talk about docs-etc) may flee to find jobs outside the country, but it’s not as if there are many jobs in those other countries, and language is an issue for many. If there’s no way to pay the docs-etc, we have a problem. Maybe we can just go back to mutuality: we feed the doc-etc, they treat our injuries-etc, we’re all better off.

• Supplies are the hardest issue here, because lack of money may mean stocks are not replenished. It’s happening in Greece, and again it’s may be 0% to 100% important, depending on the severity of the situation.

Some supplies are more vital than others. Diseases and injuries that kill the “young and otherwise healthy” - substracting many years from potential life - are a big priority. Insulin is a good example of that.

Some diseases or areas are more fragile than others, and the range is wide. Insulin-dependent diabetes is rapidly deadly in the total absence of injected insulin (3 days). (It’s like water to you or me. Can’t do without it, period.) Lack of medication for high blood pressure may mean a certain percentage of those with high pressure will have heart or brain complications and some of them might die in the next few months. At the lower priority end, some levels of anxiety can be treated with relaxation, exercise, food and meditation, maybe even showing how medication was not even the best solution to start with.

So, the model should include numbers, right? We’d need a list of prioritary diseases, with some numbers in a spreadsheet, so that supplies are sorted in terms of their priority. I think a good start would be the list of essential medicines published by the World Health Organisation (somewhere else on this page), with data from a specific country, and some knowledge about doses-per-day etc. I did that for insulin in the Canaries, as an exercise, and if my numbers were right we’d need maybe a couple of cubic meters of storage per million people and per month. In any case, those numbers are doable.

Ok, I’ll be back later, to add to the list of long-packed concepts. Please add your thoughts!

Ok, “three-family tribes”. This was a concept ideated by a fellow flubie (for the UK, where many people live in houses, but I don’t know if that’s needed).

In a bad pandemic, you don’t want flu to multiply like a wild fire - you want to slow it down. (That way, hospitals see how the severe cases are evened out over more weeks, so the same number of resources can cope better. You also buy time for other things, and maybe even reduce the total number of infected.) And one of the tools - talking bad pandemic here - is asking parents to keep kids at home for several weeks. This was explored by flubies - which, not taking into account that they are more worried about pandemic flu than most people, are also members of their own families - and the conclusion was that it was, erm, hard.

So one idea that came out was, let’s form tribes. Imagine 3 families, each with mom, dad, boy and girl - in 3 houses. Maybe they could split up: 2 adults and the 6 children go to the larger house, and don’t go out much. 4 adults stay in another house, go to work with facemasks, somehow buy food for the stay-at-home group.

But we’re not in a pandemic! Yes, sure. The concept is, form small tribes where people take care of each other. And this scenario is weird enough that we find other ideas more normal. (It’s what’s called a “provocation” in lateral thinking.) What would we do in an economic meltdown scenario?

I’ll cut it short here.

“Citizen manual”: http://fluwiki.info/ has a link to Influenza Pandemic Preparation and Response - A Citizen’s Guide version 2.0

The idea is a manual gives people ideas on how to be a good, safe citizen in a bad pandemic. I wonder what that would look like in a bad economic scenario. What would be in that booklet? What would we want to see? How would we get someone to write it? Would we trust the content?

“Supply chain fragility”. We’ve looked at that. A tough one. Supplies - of any kind - are produced, moved, stored, used. So we can act on any of those levels: produce more locally if you can, make sure it moves, store some just in case production or movement fail, and use less (or different) if you can. Easier said than done, but that’s the basic model.

“The role of the county”: some “flubies” approached pandemic flu as a “yoyo” (“you’re on our own”) situation: the state will be unable to help you deal with this, take care of your family, stock up and shelter in place. Others explored the “wowo” (“we’re on our own”) approach: we’ll work as communities and take care of each other. No community can produce their own insulin, but if the community is large enough there are doc-etc and maybe many other roles.

“Discovering real needs” … this was a big one for me personally. After looking at how systems would crumble down under the weight of a “bad enough” pandemic, you realise you’re left with needs. (I learned this through Vinay’s SCIM framework.) A “need” is something that doesn’t go away when the system fails. Thing is, before the system fails, needs are mostly invisible.

When talking about bad scenarios, I’m still surprised at how stbonrly we cling to our systems. “We _need _supermarkets, hospitals and schools to keep working.” Wait, we’re in the middle of a bad pandemic, right? What we need is food flowing to mouths, health needs taken care of as best we can, and kids growing as kids and into adults.

What I do is draw a very simple mind map. Mind map - Wikipedia A very simple one, with the system that’s about to break in the center. First order branches will have “needs”: what we want that system for, in terms of what breaks when the system breaks. Second order branches will have “substitutions”. An example would go like this:

If electricity fails at the hospital then these things fail:

• machine for killing germs in surgical knives. Need is “sterilisation”. So maybe we could boil them? Or use some chemicals? Or both? Then we set out to find someone who knows about these solutions and who can help us write a one-page document which we can distribute to hospitals.

• diagnostic devices like x-ray etc. Need is “diagnosis”. So maybe we could have solar panels for these devices alone? Or maybe we can use other ways to diagnose? What did retired doc-etc do when these devices hadn’t even been invented? Is there a multiquestion tool to help us diagnose when a specific device fails?

• Phones, email, etc. Need is “communications”. Can we use walkie-talkies? Walk? Send someone with a piece of written paper?

• etc.

So, what are “real health needs”? Could we brainstorm a list of 50-100? If we solve many of them without money, we’ll be healthy without being rich.

Ok, done for today. Thanks!

modeling and mechanisms

“modeling and mechanisms behind attitudes towards resilience”

What kind of “modeling”? People being role models for others, or mathematical models, or something else entirely? Interested!

Attitudes do matter. And, at the same time, attitudes are (I believe) somewhat elastic, mutable by how we look at things. So (my take on this) maybe if we provide more useful ways to look at reality, that will help in the specific location? Say we find out that we need to focus on, well, it’s been said, human networks - then that becomes a generative concept, one that helps people think of solutions. (More ideas doesn’t mean much better ideas, but at least it’s a longer menu to select from.)

I meant theoretical and conceptual modeling…

Models make it easier to see the big picture, and even when they lead to some simplification. they help understand processed, and figure out what impacts what, and under what conditions…

About attitudes, Nadia’s recommended article just above - about the resistance psychology - is exactly what I meant… understanding what makes people resistant to ideas is the key in changing perceptions, right?

This barrier I find particularly relevant for our case:

Long time horizons and far away places: Victims of climate change are viewed as far away in space or time. “The consequence of this spatial and temporal distance is that victims of climate change are likely to be seen, at best, as relatively less similar to oneself than are nearby contemporaries, and at worst, as out-group members.” Climate victims are seen as Other, and you know how we tend to treat the Other.

good thing is that we’d like to implement a model of health resilience in local micro-communities, so maybe it’s easier to hack attitudes :slight_smile:

->was in a hurry to answer this, but reading your comment below as well…

hacks

I’m more a big-picture person (read “vague, unconclusive, not very practical”), so I guess I’ll need a second-wheel (for the bike), a Padawan, or whatever’s needed to make for my weaknesses.

We need to understand quite a few things, taken together. Using Alberto’s insight over at “One is glad to be of service”, understanding is maybe not too easy to parallelise.

I’m finishing a version 2. (Or is it 3.) Will upload tonight, I hope.

some notes in twitter format

Your country did afford healthcare for most. Later, #collapsonomics turned Sweden into Haiti. Contained mortality risks becoming uncontained.

Money scarce? Quit war & smoking – won’t be done, but had to say it. Fix vital infrastructure for all. Grow networks to create, use & improve knowledge. Accept losses with dignity. How much of that can be done without money?

Prevent = infrastructure + vaccines + habits. Treat = medication + surgery + rehabilitation. Visible resources = people + buildings + supplies. Invisible resources = time + attention + information.

Add your own!

Came across this post about communication & climate change

Different topic same challenges and I think the post does a good job of mapping out a framework for thinking about how to “make resilience sexy”: Why climate change doesn't spark moral outrage, and how it could | Grist

Monkey do

I think we’re wired to go with the others, particularly in times of change and uncertainty. Some, of course, are wired to find new paths, help the explorers, etc.

Yes. Making resilience sexy can be done. Someone has to start. And edgeryders are among the sexiest in Europe, right?

new draft coming

I put a notice in the googledoc that’s currently open, telling editors (if any right now) to either not enter anything new, or type it in colourful ways so that it will get noticed.

The reason for that is that I’m working on a new draft. The structure is coming up quite nicely. It’s not closed in the “I won’t share it” sense, but rather in the “I need to feel the quiet for a couple of days”, if that makes sense to anyone. :-/

Things I’m doing with and around the document:

• I've written the life-story of a woman who is born, goes through a happy life punctuated by episodes of manageable disease, and eventually dies not-exactly-of-old-age-but-quite. I'm using it as a way to look into what the "health needs" really are. It's based on a concept extracted from Vinay's SCIM: focus on needs not on systems. After all, when systems break you get to keep the need, and you want to reinforce, adapt or substitute the previous solutions.
  • I'm looking at some statistics to provide backing and perspective, and doing some calculations for local insulin.
  • I'm developing a mind-map with all the pieces of the model. It does help, at least for me.
  • I think the core of this thing is that we need a way to think about health systems. I don't think I or we edgeryders or anyone can come up with all the solutions. Just some guessed ones that would have to be verified, tested, validated locally. A way to look at things. Cognitive resilience? Nope, rather Resilience cognition. Or, if you dislike the word "resilience" as I do, because I'm not sure we want to keep things stable if they broke in the first place, then "adaptability cognition" or "cognition for adaptability".
Thanks for your patience, links, thoughts and general encouragement. At this stage this is not-very-parallelisable stuff, but soon will. Then it's time for everyone interested to jump in, kill the messenger, dismantle the models, assumptions and alternatives, and generally go from version 0.1 to 0.9 and beyond.

Unless, of course, you want to do your own thinking, either in private, openly or through conversation (yes, I’m aware @peterpannier suggested skype - messy days here lately, hoping to have connectivity in August) then by all means do, don’t let anything stop you!

Again, thanks. This might end up being somewhat useful … mmmaybe. :slight_smile:

Got link?

Hi Lucas,

I think this is pretty relevant and in fact I’d like to take this initative up as an example in the TEDx talk I’m doing on Saturday if you guys don’t mind? here is the outline of what I’ll be talking about:

http://pad.telecomix.org/vefdinak

actionable

Rushing out the door again, but walking helps me think!

You mention “what’s actionable about health resilience” - “what’s the call to action?”. Some ideas, maybe:

• Test my (“my”, hah!) model by talking to people with disease, health practitioners, among ourselves, etc. See if it holds water.

• Look at statistics for our countries, or flock to one country. Tempted to think of Greece (the canary in the coal mine, some fear), but maybe look at my own place is better. See if the model is validated by reality or not.

• Develop ideas to the point of testability. This would help for Matera-unmonastery. Also, maybe we come up with questions for which there’s no current data, signaling a gap in information systems. (You know the everyday idiocy of looking for the keys under the streetlamp, and not where they fell. Old epidemiology joke, I assume it’s repeated in other fields of inquiry.)

• I’m sure there’s more things others can think of.

Later!

Emilia-Romagna

Hello Lucas,

Something else I’d been thinking about regarding this is the health/care co-operatives I have read about in Emilia-Romagna.  Apparently quite an impressive display of co-op health/care 85% of social services in Bologna by social co-ops.  I think I was given the impression it is fairly grass routes led (although I could be a bit confused)

I just did a quick search but couldn’t find any usefull  information in English. CADIAI looks like it may be interesting.

I wonder if there is anything to be learnt from the way these co-operatives are organised?  Also if they are thinking about/making plans for a possible Italian financial crisis?

Any of the Itallian Edge Ryders know more about this?

(Am I getting confused or is that the region where you come from Alberto??)

cooperatives

Home - Cadiai is in English!

This opens up a whole new area, I think. A business model where prevention makes direct, personal sense. Not without dangers, I’m sure, but still worth a look.