Research network strategic mapping 2018

Sure @johncoate. Perhaps:

• a summary of the form and content of the training
  • time and human resources needed
  • costs (scalable)

Thanks

I wonder if some of the work Noemi and I are about to do with RECODE could be repurposed for this. Because that is going to be a real training course, as opposed to the much more general workshops we did in the past. But if you need something sooner, maybe the two-session webinar we did with CIN would suffice…

Yes that was my thoughts exactly with repurposing. I need a snapshot of what it would look like to go into a work package. Can whip it up myself but where can I get the info - even for the webinar?

I’m looking for them. Here is Noemi’s Medanine presentation which is about the same as her CIN version. I have to upload mine to the drive.

1 Like

And this is mine, still in power point, uploaded to the drive.

Hopefully there will be enough in these for you.

1 Like

Great thanks :sunny:

Ping @filip

Hello!

First of all congrats again to the ER Research Network team @anique.yael @alberto for the comprehensive mapping! Have been included in the very first discussions of this and it looks like it is going exactly in the right direction :wink:

I actually just wanted to post somewhere in this workspace this article: one of the most powerful science policy jobs in Brussels changes hands

I personally haven’t been following the EP/EC activities in the last months but it looks like the final decision is already in June. Apparently an Estonian is to become deputy director-general for research :point_left:

On another note: it would be great if you could consider / add tools & methodologies related to Antiheroes & the Fail / UnFail theme of LOTE5. We teamed up few years ago as well on a proposal to the European Cultural Foundation (R&D grant following an Idea Camp).The proposal was called Overcoming the Octopus Syndrome, I would be more than interested in further developing in case there is fit in any of the next proposals. Also, I just started a PhD in error management and organisational change and very keen to see all of this from the ER perspective.
Last but not least, very much up to get involved in a Slow Science project. In ULB there is a little movement going on (see this and this) & would love to see more research projects embedding it.

Let me know if there are any (community) calls I could chip in in the next weeks, would love to follow more closely! :rowboat::rowboat::rowboat:

2 Likes

This is exactly was I was hoping for. After all, this is supposed to be a research network. We need more people with research agendas and curiosity, like you, Irene, scanning for opportunities. And we need to figure out how to best use our resources to help them along the path from idea to identifying an opportunity to application and execution. I would like a sort of small wiki, a more explicit way for people to get involved.

Why don’t we meet up, maybe over breakfast/lunch, with @anique.yael?

1 Like

@ireinga have just written to you separately about a breakfast meeting Monday or Tuesday :cherries:

1 Like

Also, this strategic mapping has been a bit out of date with the momentum of how things have been progressing. The H2020 application section has just been updated so check the original wiki post for where we’re at now. Expect a bigger update following the breakfast meeting coming up next week.

1 Like

Research network big picture thinking brunch confirmed for Tuesday 13 March 10h - 12h CET @alberto @amelia @ireinga and anyone else that would like to call in.

(this image is simply a sketch of some things that have made themselves visible and is offered merely as a starting trace of intersecting parts for the research network’s healthy scaling and strategies)

State of Play

The Edgeryders Research Network is in the process of scaling its activities and assets :mushroom:. This has most recently focussed on proposing a work package model - of community outreach, stakeholder dialogue and social semantic network analysis - into eight Horizon2020 proposals across five work programmes in the latest round (as above). We anticipate receiving results by early July, with project start dates ranging from October 2018 to early 2019. Should we win even two of these proposals, it will be necessary to address significant operational scaling - such as training through the Academy, community partnerships, project management and technical development. Whether it happens in this round or a subsequent one, preparing for this is a priority.

At the same time, the activities of the research network respond to the interests and drive of its members. At present, numerous interests and prospects have been raised - from applying commons-based and self-organising philosophies in collective research spaces; to project ideas such as a summer school and the recent Econ Scifi event; and important alignment with other Edgeryders’ initiatives like SenseStack.

There’s plenty to consider and for now I’m going to cover a few aspects that are rising to the surface now. These have come through direct conversation from interested people (in particular @alberto) , as well as through a research network brunch in March with @alberto @nadia @amelia @ireinga and @hugi They are framed by me here however this is offered as an (evolving) starting point - this is an open and collective process and I invite you to jump to and tag yourself where you’re most interested, and share ideas and feedback in the forms that suit you.

• Philosophies of scaling
  • Interests and needs in scaling
  • Processes and operations to scale
  • Human resources and shared assets
  • Summer projects and next steps

Philosophies of scaling

Some members, are interested in how we co-create a healthy and open research community beyond silos of specific projects. My own research for example, explores processes and practices in collective thinking-making-living for resilient and autonomous livelihoods. Earlier in the year, @asimong and I had a conversation to begin exploring how the Edgeryders research network might scale - the conversation suspended itself in the wave of H2020 proposals and I’d like to open it up again here and now. It’s crux is how we conduct research as a commons. This compliments existing Edgeryders approaches around open knowledge and data, and of course mobilising across our collective intelligence through knowledge sharing and ethnography.

For me, the question has been evolving with the momentum of the Reef ecosystem and SenseStack’s vision. I’m thinking deeply about the composition and intersection of our social, economic and knowledge flows. I’m thinking about the value of these flows and their capacity to self-sustain (across individual to local community to ecosystem). I’m thinking about data and skill-sharing, inclusion and access. I’m thinking about wellbeing and belonging in a network. I’m thinking about curiosity and the paradigm shift. I’m thinking about alliance. And I’m curious as to what you’re thinking about in relation, and how our shared interests and needs can support our scaling.

Here are some questions @asimong and I began asking:

• How do we craft a form of research whose output is knowledge that’s actually available in a useful way to commons-oriented citizens?
  • How do we tie this back to the needs of the emerging new society?
  • How do we do this in the context of EU research “industry” and the “academic precariat?
  • How might our collective research experiment with and apply self-organising and autonomous philosophies?
  • How can digital and open technologies support the human living systems we really want and through different modes and mediums of expression?
  • Ultimately, how do we support a growing living research community? ”…one that sustains itself not only intellectually but socially, culturally, emotionally… where people care, where people matter… where the research agenda is not set by international capital…”

Interests and needs in scaling

Various interests have been voiced around the research network, others are emergent and more are invited. Those noted include:

• How different projects can be built on and benefit from each other: interdependence and collaboration
  • Practice-based and P2P research: citizen-led research, applied research, knowledge and skill-sharing and research towards societal transformation
  • Development of ethnographic coding ontologies: evolving open ethnography and multilingual, multimedia ethnographic research across communities
  • Scaling the network: collaborative social entrepreneurship, research, mobilsing grassroots impact and collective wellbeing

Processes and operations to scale

Acknowledging the emergent and self-organising approaches cherished and practiced across Edgeryders, a key focus area is how to scale the research network’s activities with simple, effective and welcoming processes. I, in particular, am interestedin being prepared for a collaborative agility in coordinating multiple and interconnected research projects, especially those with higher stakes such as any incoming H2020 projects. Some points of attention and interest raised:

• Project planning: open-source, accessible and agile planning/ reporting tools
  • Access: navitable and inclusive pathways for onboarding Edgeryders into the research network’s activities. Aka “plug-in here” where there are clear entry points and a social contract for involvement - ping @ireinga - and knowledge-sharing events - ping @yannick @noemi.
  • Documentation: Opportunities for creative collaborations around sharing learnings and developing scalable models through in-situ project participation - ping @natalia_skoczylas @gregoiremarty
  • Communications: internal/external communications channels and ease of information access - ping @matthias @owen and @zmorda

Human resources and shared assets

In order to scale we need to consider management of our capacities and assets. This is clearly a huge territory and the following are a few initial thoughts that have arisen from the network.

• Onboarding and sustainability: what models and processes can ensure trustful and welcoming onboarding into the research network’s team and how can they be valued and cared for.
  • Activities to sustain the network and available assets: how do we strategise and draw in smarts, collaborators, partners and funds in line with our shared principles
  • Shared assets: how do we approach these shared assets - spanning project funds to collective ideas and the wellbeing of the ecosystem as a whole

Projects and next steps

NOW:

• Now is the time to step up and show your interest in the research network’s scaling. This is a collective and open effort and collaboration is key.

• I am meeting with the SenseStack team @nadia @hugi and @matteo_uguzzoni this week to discuss alignment and pathways

• @alberto @yannick @ireinga @mariekebelle and I are meeting to explore potentially develop and hosting an Econ sci-fi event - as per @alberto’s post here, this project is being explored as a first higher profile knowledge sharing event

• We are a subcontractor to a tender with EuroParl that is being submitted this week and I will continue to explore strategic opportunities with the European research environment as per the above posts.

SPRING/ SUMMER:

• Review acquisition strategy and prepare to scale production pending results of H2020 round
  • Edgeryders team retreat where overarching longer term strategies and teams will be explored
  • Architecting and establishing “plug-in here” process (Collaborator and partner funnel with 3 steps + explicit social contract)
  • Documentation (Repository of projects, proposals and previous applications)
  • Host 1-2 community calls
  • Host 1 reading group (in preparation for Econ sci-fi if go ahead)
  • Host 1 meet&greet (integrate into Econ sci-fi if go ahead)

SUMMER/ FALL

• Test and implement effective and open project planning tools in preparation for multiple H2020 projects within the next 12 months

• Econ Sci-fi if goes ahead

• Operational scaling and acquisition campaigning pending Spring/ Summer review

3 Likes

Fair enough.

I guess it will work like this:

1. Learn about the failure/success of our project acquisition campaign in spring 2018. Depending on what happens, we focus more on refining our acquisition strategy or more on operations.

2. If we win, or get to the second stage of, zero projects, it will be all acquisition strategy refinement.

3. If we win one one-stage proposal we can balance: move into production with the winning project, but also refine acquisition strategy, prioritizing any two-stage proposals that got through stage one.

4. If we win two or more one-stage proposals, we need to build a production structure which is is significantly larger than the one we have now. In that case, this scaling process takes precedence.

Stand by… :v:

2 Likes

Great and yes - slight update to the above to include the review (I had taken it as a given but clearly noteworthy).

1 Like

Anique, this is so good, meta as it is :slight_smile: Thank you.
You are obviously a strategic thinker but have a lot of projects and concrete work on your hands so it helps .

For onboarding and documentation: You know where I stand, as I worked across the network for quite some time, so am interested in knowledge sharing events (Brussels too and more please! :)) that have continuity from and outside of Brussels: whether they are tied to the Academy; or a distributed museum and what not.

On the project planning for streamlining production: I am willing to explore with you new tools and processes, so feel free to enlist me for a few hours a week work. All those of us doing a lot of project management on a daily basis would benefit from it, no matter which scale we are working on.

2 Likes

Thank you @anique.yael for remembering about me:) For me it was always most enjoyable, and probably also valuable for the community projects, to work on physical community building and facilitation - from the scratch, as in Nepal, but also during our annual gatherings. So this fits in onboarding as well. And surely storytelling - I’ve been doing a pretty big storytelling gig for the OpenCare and I think I did just fine :slight_smile: We thought for a while about expanding the storytelling and documenting side of edgeryders with @alex_levene but it didn’t come to anything very concrete.

I will be now waiting for the results of the retreat - especially how do you guys decide to communicate and involve people in work, what will be the processes and roles of particular members. It’s been increasingly difficult for me in the past months to know what’s exactly happening behind the scenes and how I could plug myself into some of the work. But if I understand that, I could maybe be useful again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i’m at the shop making kimchi and making some stencils for a citizen action later at 16h, but want to get into the hang out at 14h30, how do i do,

will explain how i could help on having a new project that is willing to test new economical models in the next 6 months (if thursday appointment goes well…)

1 Like

@anique.yael , great great post.
Everything isn’t clear for me though I’m willing to know more.

For many reasons, including my job and a project that I will introduce to Edgeryders this week (following my filmed tribulations in Sidi Kaouiki and Essaouira), I’m not quite sure to be able to spend a lot of time on new things this year.
But still looking forward for what’s coming.

1 Like

@anique.yael what an overview! I am very interested in what is listed under Philosophies of scaling, Interests and needs in scaling and the Processes and operations to scale as I recognise quiet a lot of it in relation to my work as research coordinator for a program that just kicked off this academic year - already part of 2 research projects and thus need to watch out for moving too fast. That being said, I am facing other constraints given the context I am working in; onboarding is quiet different because of fixed protocols, given by the HR dept., also meaning I can’t scale without the extra administrative formalities … so ideas such as self-organising sounds like a dream to me - then again our program coordinator and I are trying to find the perfect hack :slight_smile: … working on that.

All this to say I am interested and thinking about how we can help each other without adding too much to the over-head. Exchanging tips on good agile planning/reporting tools is quiet easy - other opportunities are less obvious? Anyhow I am open to share ideas, good practices, … .

2 Likes