Rethinking retirement - response by Anis Mula

We don’t seem to discuss retirement much with others. How much do you think about your own retirement? What do you think about? And what do you avoid thinking about?

I have no idea right now i don’t even get a job…

How about work, hobbies, family life, leisure, pleasure… Which activities from your present life would you like to keep doing? Which things would you like to never do again?

So in sort of hobbies i love watching movies but in sort of social life i always run away so there’s no pleasure and family life for me.

Great, now that you’ve chosen what stays and what to leave behind - start to imagine your future self. The ‘dream you’. How do you get there? Which new skills and what knowledge do you want to acquire?

I have so many great goals to realizes in my life and some looks impossible to do so.

I would like to become a developer yeah i do!.

Imagine your housing situation and the people around you (or their absence). Who are you surrounded by in your retirement?
Where and how would you like to live?

I don’t want to live where i’m living right now it’s so difficult to live here.

i want to travel and meet new people i want to live in a country were i can stay productive every day not here at all.

If you know people who have retired, was there something to learn from their experience and approach? Could you share their impressions?

No

How do you imagine sustaining yourself financially? Maybe you have a plan, a tip, or an idea, that you would like to share?

That’s a great question so in response to your question wait am looking for a FREE WiFi point to connect.

I have no zero plan no study nothing i can’t even afford money to buy food…

name: Anis Mula

Well All,

having retired in 2019 after accumulating 40 years of ‘paid work’, the simple experience is (a) to think early about it [=retirement] and (b) get down to (your) work. At least, when you live in Europe, that is a possible strategy.

Assuming that you have secured (i) means of living (income) and (ii) means of action (insights & health) the retirement is an opportunity to shift ‘what you are doing’ a bit closer to 'what you are interested in’. If the conditions about ‘what has to be secured’ are not met, then retirement is an euphemism for ‘to be laid off’.

Sorry, that all is painful, because the issue is less ‘how to retire’ but the eternal question ‘how to have life-long a decent work’ (for All). That is an issue of societal change and individual endeavour.

Martin

p.s. Take off from ‘zero plan’. From that starting point any change is positive. I guess, joining the edgeryders community took you off from ‘point zero’.

1 Like

Welcome anis_mula_13! Where are you located? And what sort of developer do you want to be?