Rethinking retirement - response by Duygu

We don’t seem to discuss retirement much with others. How much do you think about your own retirement? What do you think about? And what do you avoid thinking about?

I think about it as a part of my life where I will not have to think about the future much

How about work, hobbies, family life, leisure, pleasure… Which activities from your present life would you like to keep doing? Which things would you like to never do again?

I would probably have more hobbies as i would have more time, and more time for my family and friends as well. I wouldn’t remove anything from my current life.

Great, now that you’ve chosen what stays and what to leave behind - start to imagine your future self. The ‘dream you’. How do you get there? Which new skills and what knowledge do you want to acquire?

For me it is more of an emotional stage, where I would like to be proud of the story I have lived so far, and I am trying my best to make it beautiful.

Imagine your housing situation and the people around you (or their absence). Who are you surrounded by in your retirement?
Where and how would you like to live?

More of my friends, family, and more nature and animals.

I would like to live on an island in a house with a garden.

If you know people who have retired, was there something to learn from their experience and approach? Could you share their impressions?

I think retirement is like a new project of life, where you restructure your whole life and perspective. I have seen some people taking it as a kind of an end and mostly doing nothing, I would like to be active in my retirement.

How do you imagine sustaining yourself financially? Maybe you have a plan, a tip, or an idea, that you would like to share?

Hopefully a good pension, maybe buy a house and rent it out as a second income.

name: Duygu