Rethinking retirement - response by Emile

We don’t seem to discuss retirement much with others. How much do you think about your own retirement? What do you think about? And what do you avoid thinking about?

I wouldn’t go that far; I’ve discussed this with peers and friends — partially to plan financially; but also to plan “what to do.” The great fear that has been expressed is “the void” of having nothing to do.}

How about work, hobbies, family life, leisure, pleasure… Which activities from your present life would you like to keep doing? Which things would you like to never do again?

This question is more about capability than interests — I’ve been cultivating each of my “spaces“; {work, home; third} to be capable in challenging “the void”; my hobbies overlap my work where I do design work for my home and I relish each of my “third spaces” where I meet with fine gentleman at varying stages of life and can share my adventures with their own sense of doing.

Great, now that you’ve chosen what stays and what to leave behind - start to imagine your future self. The ‘dream you’. How do you get there? Which new skills and what knowledge do you want to acquire?

This is all about doing not reading :slight_smile: —for most of my hobbies I do this as a rule, where I deep I’ve into the topic but also practically try things out. As I have mentioned to my friends, there is a huge difference from being a crew member on a sailboat to single handing it effectively, a current goal.

Imagine your housing situation and the people around you (or their absence). Who are you surrounded by in your retirement?
Where and how would you like to live?

To date, unless situation dictates, I do not see a change in geography nor accommodation. I’ve engineered to be close to three spaces right now, the absence of one, work, doesn’t preclude altering this.

If you know people who have retired, was there something to learn from their experience and approach? Could you share their impressions?

There is, from some of the successful retirees I have learned the value in doing; and the value in having the relationships outside work.

How do you imagine sustaining yourself financially? Maybe you have a plan, a tip, or an idea, that you would like to share?

This is based on two books, Jacob Lund Fiskar’s EER and The Essential Retirement Guide: A Contrarian’s Perspective Hardcover – by Frederick Vettese

name: Emile

1 Like