Rethinking retirement - response by Thomas

We don’t seem to discuss retirement much with others. How much do you think about your own retirement? What do you think about? And what do you avoid thinking about?

I see parents and colleagues retire and how they manage. I see struggle but also joy. Trying to be financially stable for high age is one aspect but also questioning if the social network will be strong enough to hold me later

How about work, hobbies, family life, leisure, pleasure… Which activities from your present life would you like to keep doing? Which things would you like to never do again?

I hope to keep my international friendships alive and being able to travel a lot. I hope to be able to share experience and knowledge and help younger generations and people living in less priviliged circumstances

Great, now that you’ve chosen what stays and what to leave behind - start to imagine your future self. The ‘dream you’. How do you get there? Which new skills and what knowledge do you want to acquire?

I want to enhence my social skills and grow my network.

Imagine your housing situation and the people around you (or their absence). Who are you surrounded by in your retirement?
Where and how would you like to live?

As right now, in the future i hope to live in an creative environment being able to make things in an workshop. I hope to be in touch with my friends face to face or via technology. Hopefully access to nature is possible. A kind of flat share with like minded people would be fun, I guess.

If you know people who have retired, was there something to learn from their experience and approach? Could you share their impressions?

Some of my retired friends play with me in a brass band once a week. They do this for decades and it has become an anchor point in hard times, when illness or loss of loved ones hit their lives. Being active despite high age is helping to stay mentally fit and enhences health.

How do you imagine sustaining yourself financially? Maybe you have a plan, a tip, or an idea, that you would like to share?

Don’t underestimate the value of your work. Don’t sell yourself cheap! Actively ask for a fair share, don’t wait for others to offer you a pay rise, be decent but know your worth.

name: Thomas

1 Like