Schoonship - visit in January/February

Hi there @reef-associate and @reef-full and @Lee (checking the groups, I don"t see your name in either! That might need to be fixed… Hope nobody else fell through the cracks…)

Here is the episode II for the visit to Schoonship :slight_smile:
We’re planning to do it one weekend in january-february
I thought I would do a quick check of our availabilities, mainly to avoid to pick a date when nobody is available again…
Here is a list of saturdays, please pick the one you may be available! And then we’ll see what comes out of the availabilities of schoonship…

• Jan 14
  • Jan 21
  • Jan 28
  • Fev 4
  • Fev 11
  • Fev 18
  • Fev 25

0 voters

4 Likes

Thanks for this, @Sarah . I do not dare commit to February, it looks to be very very busy.

@Sarah, thanks a lot for taking this on!

Question: won’t this be open for the new Reeflings?

Also for clarification: Schoonschip is located in Amsterdam. The visit (250 euro for 15 people) will be paid for by The Reef, but the train ticket you will have to pay for yourself.

1 Like

Yes but I was thinking the main thing is to make sure we pick some days when enough old reeflings are available…
And then once we have the date, I put it out to everybody (with a priority to associate and full members).
Works?
Happy to open it to everybody otherwise…

2 Likes

Great plan! Thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Hi, thanks. I voted but I’m a new one, not sure if this is ok.

1 Like

It’s fine, no worries :slight_smile:
As a first approach, for the moment it’s mainly ‘oldlings’ voting, but we’ll keep you posted!

1 Like

@reef-associate @reef-full
Last call to fill in your tentative availabilities!
I’ll send the email this week to school ship!

3 Likes

Hi there @reeflings !
Just a heads up that this is still an ongoing thread!
Hopefully the visit will be on 11/2, I should have confirmation soon… but maybe pencil that down in the meantime!
I’ll post soon about the date and the who’s coming thingy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ping @reef-building: would anybody be willing and able to join this visit?

Here’s what it’s about: https://schoonschipamsterdam.org

@sarah: if you would have a hunch that there would be spaces left, maybe we can invite some non-Reeflings? E.g. somebody from Habitat & Participation, PhD students from the expert that the architects work with, …?

1 Like

remembering our team building meeting I feel like this is an important visit because of how Schoonschip has worked using sustainable materials, which is something we still can learn a lot about. I’ve blocked 11/2 in my agenda for now, if @MariaClaudia and I can both be present I think that would be amazing! Let’s see if Schoonschip confirms this date :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @JolanWuyts, that week I will be probably travelling. This should be confirmed by the end of January. If not and it is not too late, I join you!

Thanks

1 Like

Ta-da !!!
Here it is, here it comes:
We are booked for Saturday 11/02 at 2pm!
Our guide will be Yvonne, co-developer, inhabitant and former chairwoman of the Schoonschip Foundation…

Not sure how we do the next bit though.
There are 15 spots, so not everyone can join.

What I suggest is for the @reeflings interested to put their name down in the poll below (see post number 19 below). And we’ll take it from there (maybe a job from @reef-governance to sort out? Or indeed opening up to outsiders if we are not enough…)

NB: turns out that the tour is only 1h… personally I was expecting more, but I guess it should still be interesting enough to make up for the quite above average price… In light of this new info, if anybody has strong feeling that we should reopen the discussion on whether or not we are happy to pay the 350euros or so, there is probably a small window to shout it out now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everybody, given that it is an expensive service, maybe we should try to make the most of it by assigning some of the 15 spots for the experts that Lie suggests? (the phd students of the architects, hope I got this right) Provided that then they are willing to share their knowledge with us. I don’t know if this is an option. If the main aim of the visit is knowing technical aspects such as materials, it might be useful then to have some technical expertise, especially given that this is a project built on the water and maybe this knowledge does not have a direct application to the Reef. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes, makes sense!
Indeed the architects themselves will be coming, and actually your post prompted me to remind them to offer to their “durability and material” expert to come along…
I am not sure what the PhD students would do in relation to our project though? I thought Lie was saying to offer them spots in case there was free spots actually. @Lee who were you thinking about exactly?

1 Like

Ah ok! If the architects themselves are going, then even better. I thought of the phd students as sort of the closest to “expert representation”. Sorry if it was said already somewhere in the beginning of this thread and I missed it :nerd_face:

1 Like

I worry that there won’t be 13 Reeflings who will be joining. If this would be the case, I think it would be a win if we could offer the space to somebody who is interested, but that could really be anybody I guess.

2 Likes

Don’t worry! Even if you did it wouldn’t be anything to be sorry about! And actually, I think it’s written nowhere but in email between me and Lie :slight_smile:

So… About the poll…
I should have read Lie’s excellent post about that, because I can’t see who voted…
So I’m very sorry for the 6 people (myself included) who already filled it in, but we have to do it again!
Here it is below:

Going to schoonship
  • Yes I wanna join!
0 voters
2 Likes

@Lee, @reeflings : Might be a good idea to start contacting these potential extra people? Maybe saying that “there might be” spots available?
I can send an email to habitat et participation and the architects for PhD. Any other people to invite?

1 Like